International cities

Is anyone else considering moving abroad for graduate school?

I'm looking at Amsterdam, Budapest, or St. Petersburg. I've visited 2 of the 3 many years ago, and lived in Rome for 7 months, but am a little nervous about leaving the US.

Who else is considering it? Has anyone lived in these cities and can shed some light on what it would be like for an American?

I am not from Amsterdam but from a city about half an hour away, so I know it fairly well.

What are you looking for in a city?

I personally like Amsterdam. It's not too big yet still you feel like you are in a city. It's scenic and international and there is a lot going on.

A cosmopolitan town would be a good way to describe it.

I personally can't think of any other city of 700k citizens that has to offer the same in terms of entertainment, nightlife, culture, etc.

From what I hear from foreign students that I know people are generally friendly and interested toward foreigners (unless you are the group of 5+ drunk and noisy British/American guys of course)

It's not a typical student town in the sense that most evolves around students, but you will have enough options.

It's also good that you go to UvA and not VU I think. Most of the buildings are more in the city center and it has more of a university atmosphere.

If you have more questions you can send me a message as well

I am from Amsterdam. I personally don't like it and am happy to move away next year. But I think it is different coming from the US living here for a couple of years.

For me it is too small (700,000 inhabitants). People are rude and unfriendly in public transport or on the streets, especially in comparison to people in the US (although I've only been to NYC, Chicago, Boston, DC). There is no service, people are NOT service minded. You will pay way too much for housing. The Dutch government has all kind of rules that generate affordable housing for people. This affordable housing is never for a foreigner coming here, so in the end you are going to pay about 600-700 euros for a crappy apt far away from the center. Especially foreigners are screwed over all the time by people who rent out places. Also the foreign students I know were living illegally all the time resulting in them getting kicked out when the landlord had enough of them. It is really bad and I really hate this. If you can get help from the university with student housing you might get a room for about 380 euros/month at a nice location. I think it is overpriced, they ask foreign students to pay about 100 euros more than dutch students. There is also some container housing, which was about the same price, but I think they removed it. My experience is that PhD students don't get help finding a house, but this might vary per department. I pay 250 euros/month for a whole apartment in the center, so I think the prices are too high, especially for international students who don't have a network (because that is how you get a decent place).

My two american friends who studied here for a while said they liked the town, but that it was extremely hard to make friends with locals. I always say: the dutch are open-minded, but they are not open. You can do everything in Amsterdam and people won't find it weird, but they won't invite you at parties and stuff. Everyone is in their own world. Internationals often do stuff with internationals only. It is sad but true. Of course there are exceptions (I know these two americans from their time in amsterdam and I am Dutch ;)). According to them, Amsterdam is a nice place, but also a lonely place. Everyone also tends to think that it is a big city. When I ask foreigners how many people they think live in Amsterdam, they respond with 5 million. No, it is not even 1 million and yes it is a bit like a village (which can be an advantage).

Pro's: It's old (historical buildings etc), it's liberal, museums, culture, good nightlife, job opportunities, etc. It is very different from every other town somehow. I think no other city in the Netherlands is like this city. All the other cities are smaller. If I had to choose a city in the Netherlands to live in, I'd definitely choose Amsterdam with all its disadvantages.

St-Petersburg: I've lived there as well. What is your reason to go there? It is really pretty. I think it is an open air museum. If you like culture, you're at the right place. I won't advice going to Russia without speaking the language or without the intention to learn it. St Petersburg is not my favorite Russian city, but I think it is the most "easy" Russian city and the most touristic one. Russia is such a different place though (in comparison to the other cities you chose). I would much rather go to St. P than Amsterdam though. It might not always be easy and nice, but it will be an experience for sure!

Edited by pietjekanarie

• 2 weeks later...

Is anyone thinking of going to Leeds (U of Leeds), UK? Anyone who went there have some positive or negative experiences they'd be willing to share?

Also, should I worry about the new switch from FFELP to Direct Loans? The financial aid person at Leeds was very helpful, but did mention that they may be switching pending the US government's decision... which has now been made. Should I be concerned about my access to Stafford Loans or am I ok? I'm really excited about their program - MA in Gender Studies (Research) - but since I've also been accepted to schools here in the US, I'm having the first week of April jitters... like, what if I turn down my US offers for Leeds and then something goes wrong with the loans and I can't go to grad school next year. Ah! ;) Any thoughts?

Thanks!