GRE Subject Test?

Hi everyone, I'm new to GradCafe! 

While, of course, the SOP and writing sample are paramount, I was wondering if anyone could tell me how programs handle the Subject Test. I'm applying straight out of undergrad and otherwise have a fairly strong record (166 Verbal and 6.0 Analytic on the GRE General, 3.84 GPA, research experience), but scored in the 54th percentile on the Subject Test in Literature. I got a little freaked out because UT Austin's website states, "Questions about an applicant’s preparation and readiness tend to be raised when the GRE Subject Test in Literature score is below the 60th percentile."

I think only three or four of my programs require the Subject Test, but I was more concerned about places like UT Austin where it's "strongly recommended." Should I even bother sending my score to programs that "recommend" but don't require it? 

Thank you so much for your help! I'd really rather not spend an exorbitant amount of money to potentially lower my chances at certain schools, but I wasn't super sure how to proceed from here. 

My scores were on the low side (78%) but I sent them anyway to recommended schools (NYU and WashU). That said, I know my scores won't give me an edge, but I don't think it will hurt me either. A 54%, however, may be problematic when they compare your scores to others. So I personally think it is better if you don't send your scores. Your GRE verbal, Writing and GPA are fantastic, so don't tarnish their "WOW this person has great scores" perception. Just my two cents.

Edit: grammar