How should one bring up personal health issues (if at all) in one's SOP?

I've been told that bringing up health issues in the SOP ruins what is supposed to be a professional document that focuses on one's strengths; moreover, apparently some faculty interpret such addendums as "excuse-making".

Unfortunately, some of my applicantions have no space for supplementary information regarding health issues related to poor performances. In this case, should I just mention the issue briefly in my Statement of Purpose, and if so how should I go about doing this?

Thanks!!

Well I'd say it depends on what you hope to accomplish by sharing this information.  If you had an illness that led to you taking time off from school and reevaluating how you wanted to live your life then that experience can be viewed as defining.  Whatever motivated you to get through it could be viewed as a strength and if this experience prepared you for other tough times then that is resiliency.  So if your goal is to demonstrate that this illness taught you how to handle difficulties and this will help you in grad school then it could enhance your SOP.  

On the other hand if your illness has led to ongoing challenges that make functioning difficult and you will require accommodations throughout your program then your SOP is not the appropriate place to discuss this.  If you are applying to programs in the US then look for something called a Disability Services department and chat with them about the program you're interested in and the type of accommodations you will need.  They will walk you through the documentation you need to provide and whatever options are available to meet your needs.

I would lean towards it only if it was a physical, temporary illness that is completely resolved and significantly impacted your work. Had cancer or a big car accident and are now recovered? Worth mentioning. Fair or not, mentioning your depression or anxiety is going to hurt your chances more than help. 

Thanks @MarineBluePsy and @bayessays.

If I briefly mention the illness (in the context of how it set me back and how I overcame it), then can I be deliberately ambiguous about the specific illness? Will they suspect that I haven't actually yet overcome it, or that it is some "stigmatized" illness? I don't think I want to share too many personal details w/ random committee members.

You do not have to specify what illness.  You can simply say you unexpectedly became ill, how you were set back, how you overcame it, and that you are now in excellent health and are grateful the illness was temporary and not chronic.  

Unless we are talking a year of Fs, I would not take the risk of mentioning mental illness on your SOP, even if you do not explicitly call it such. If you don't specify physical illness, people are going to fill in the blanks in a way that can only harm you.

I see where you are coming from.

Unfortunately I need to explain away why I went part time for the entirety of one year, so there's no getting around making some reference to my health.

That being said, I have evidence that I recovered completely. How long do you think I should talk about such evidence, so as to assuage any concerns that the adcoms might have?

Edited by theduckster

All of this can be addressed in 2 or 3 sentences.  Any more and what adcoms will remember from your SOP is that you were or are sick when you want them to remember your research interests.  You can say something like........While I was always a motivated student and took school seriously I became unexpectedly ill during sophomore year, which meant having to switch to part time status.  My GPA suffered a bit at that time, but thankfully, my illness was temporary and once recovered I resumed school full time and my GPA significantly improved.  I do not anticipate any health related challenges in graduate school and am looking forward to...........transition to your research interests.

I also want to point out that many people go to school part time for a variety of reasons (not all of them negative) for part or even all of undergrad so its becoming less of a shock to adcoms.  More of your SOP needs to focus on how you have prepared for graduate school and what you will do once you're there.

There is a very easy way to get around your part time status - don't mention it. Why do you feel the need to mention this? Nobody will care  about your part time schedule.  There are million reasons why someone might take less than a full time schedule.  They will have no concerns if you don't bring it up. Seriously, unless you had a temporary physical illness like cancer, were in a serious accident, or an immediate family member died, mentioning this in any capacity can do absolutely nothing to help you.

3 hours ago, bayessays said:

There is a very easy way to get around your part time status - don't mention it.

It sticks out like a bit of a sore thumb (with a single F and some B's, all in unrelated classes) but I may be able to ignore it like you said.

One of my letter writers (a former professor) already said that he can write that this anomaly was due to an illness. Should I let him go ahead and do that, or request him not to?

Edited by theduckster

Sure you can have your LOR writer state that you had an illness during that time, but then the adcom will wonder.....what kind of illness, is it chronic, will it be a problem in the future, etc etc.  It would be very strange to have an LOR writer mention it and then you don't, so it's probably easier if you just briefly address it and move on.

29 minutes ago, bayessays said:

Was the F in a math/stats course? Was it a core pre req for the programs? I failed a statistics course and only one PhD program I applied to ever brought it up.

It was a non math/stats course (I am not a math/stats major).

Basically the entire year I took a really light courseload (with one F and a couple of Bs, all capped with an A-). These were all non-math/stats courses, but my concern is that this episode was quite recent and so adcoms might be concerned that I am "not ready" today (despite having strong math grades prior and some evidence that I have recovered and am productive as of the last several months).

My dilemma is whether to try and assuage these concerns of theirs (if they have them), or not bring any of it up and hope they overlook it all.

...And I am not so worried about the grades themselves, as like I said they are non-math/stats courses. I am more worried that being the detectives they are, they will look at this part time/mediocre grade combo and see evidence of some serious issue, which is why I want to beat them to it by offering a reasonable explanation and an assurance on my part. Or perhaps I am just being paranoid.

Edited by theduckster

I don't think a part-time schedule or a few Be is something to worry about, so really we are just talking about a single F here. It sounds like you mostly have As besides this - I wouldn't worry about it because it's not a math class. If it was multiple bad grades I think addressing it would be a bigger concern. Shit happens. Adcoms aren't looking for every little reason to reject you, so I wouldn't bring attention to a minor blemish.

Thanks @bayessays.

Final questions and I'll try to wrap this discussion up:

1. In my final quarter going part time (we have a three quarter system), I had only one class in my schedule and an A- in it. Does a single class all on its own look too suspicious? 
  2. And should I ask the aforementioned letter writer (a professor) not to include any reference to my health? He said he would include this in his letter after I mentioned it in passing.
Edited by theduckster