I'm in a Rough Spot

Uchuuko

Hi everyone. I am a junior transfer student at a college for my undergraduate degree. I am majoring in Biochemistry (BS). I am very concerned about how I will look to the admissions departments of the graduate schools I will apply to next year, however (not asking to be chanced; I just feel that my stats blow at this time).

I have not taken the GRE yet, but I only have a chance to do well on the general GRE. My BS program is sorry as all get out- it acts more like a BA and doesn't even require that I take physical or inorganic chemistry. To make matters worse, I don't have any extra credits to take those courses (if they even have them) unless I want to take them over the summer or not graduate on time. I don't think it would do me any good to self study the subjects on the GRE subject tests that I haven't had a class on either. However, the schools I want to apply to do not require that I send in GRE test scores (GATech and Emory); this makes me question whether I should bother taking the GRE. 

On the plus side, I am going to start doing research next semester. I feel that I don't have much going for me at this point though. My GPA isn't even a 3.5, but it is above a 3.0. I do have a summer semester I am going to take as well for a physics course. I don't think there's much I can do to better my situation at this point besides things relating to my GPA and research, and I'm not sure what I'll do at the moment for the GRE.

17 minutes ago, Smeb said:

I am guessing you are going for a PhD. You could try to force it and apply for go for a master or postbacc. I am doing a postbacc for similar reasons.

I am going for a PhD. I'm glad I'm not the only one having a nightmare this late in the game (or having a situation like mine). 

Edited by Uchuuko

9 hours ago, Smeb said:

there are many people in your shoes. You still got time to choose what you want to do. Dont rush

Thank you. I did look into some post bacc programs earlier when you brought hem up, so I have decided that I might apply to some as a back up.