Recalculating GPA

minnares

So here is my situation. I went to college for one term wwwaaaayyyy back in 1992, then got pregnant, then left college. I didn't get to go back until 2006, after which point I earned only As. However, the one term back in 1992 was wretched with morning sickness and family upheaval (mostly caused by me), and my GPA was 2.76. Given the different point values for courses and the difference between quarterly and semester, I am wondering how to integrate those 17 credits into my other 126 in order to be more honest or as honest as possible (and yes I've had people suggest I just not send that one transcript). The way I calculated it, that would bring my cumulative down to a 3.75. My UG institution, the one I did the other 126 credits at, just accepted the credits and then "wiped the slate," only counting my 126 at their institution toward my honors and cumulative there. Does anyone know of website that does this, calculates it out taking into consideration the differences in semester v. quarterly, etc.? Also, how would those of you who were successful this year or in years prior address this? I tried to touch on it briefly (and in less depth than above) in my SoP by saying I had to leave school after one semester due to an "unexpected life change." I'm not sure if I should even mention it, and I"m getting such conflicting information on how much personal/life detail to include.

Appreciate any suggestion(s) or help offered. Thanks much.

~ m

minnares,

My understanding is credits from a decade ago are considered expired in many institutions. So maybe it's unnecessary to report such information. It might be best to first check the policies of the institution to see if such credit can be considered in the application. I highly advise contacting the admissions office of the institutions you're applying to.

Anyways it is usually the case:

• 1 semester credit is worth 1.5 credits. So take semester credits * 1.5 = quarter credits.
  • 1 quarter credit is worth 1/1.5=(2/3) semester credits.

Hope this helps.

minnares,

My understanding is credits from a decade ago are considered expired in many institutions. So maybe it's unnecessary to report such information. It might be best to first check the policies of the institution to see if such credit can be considered in the application. I highly advise contacting the admissions office of the institutions you're applying to.

Anyways it is usually the case:

• 1 semester credit is worth 1.5 credits. So take semester credits * 1.5 = quarter credits.
  • 1 quarter credit is worth 1/1.5=(2/3) semester credits.

Hope this helps.

Yes, that helps. Thank you so much. I will contact the departments and ask. It'd be excellent if they didn't care to see that one miserable term worth of credits. One less thing to put a black mark on my apps.

~ m

Even if you're asked for the details of the 92' classes, you can always explain your situation empathizing your recent great performance. I wouldn't imagine them holding it against you.

This may be different at other schools - but at my current undergrad institution, my GPA is only determined from courses I took there. Some old transfer credits are being used to fill requirements for my BS, but only the credits transfer, not the previous GPA. This is great for me, b/c I have a 3.9+ over the last 3.5 years - even though my last undergrad semester before that, in 2000, I took two classes and failed them both!

The grad schools I applied to still wanted to see all the old transcripts, and it didn't stop me from getting into a top-5 school. So I really don't think you need to worry about adjusting your gpa, or your previous situation. It's not the most common situation but it won't be the first time they've seen it. Good luck!

I would just use your current transcripts. Here's why:

1. If you transferred the credits in, the institution will have incorporated them into your GPS somehow.

2. If you did not transfer them, they're not exactly relevant anymore.

My only caution would be if they were, which means the schools where you're applying know you went to another institution. In that case, include the first transcript, address it in your statement of purpose, much like you've done here, but use your current GPA on the applications.

If you really want to get a "true" GPA, here's the quickest way:

GPA 1 * # of credits at institution 1

GPA 2 * # of credits at institution 2

Add and then divide by the total number of credits

That's the simplest way I can think of. I get this:

(2.76*17) + (3.75*126)

>>>>>> 143

"Weighted" GPA = 3.63 Still solid. ;)

Edited by Postbib Yeshuist