To all married international students

I'd like to share some valuable advice for those who are planning to come with spouses to the U.S. I know the application process is not over but it might help you plan better...

Do not go for an F1 visa. Request a DS-2019 form from the institution and apply for J1. That way your spouse will be able to work in the U.S. Not enough people know this information and I see fellow students struggle. In case you are afraid of the 2-years home residency requirement - fear not. It does not apply unless your program was sponsored by the U.S. Government or your country.

Wish you all best of luck!

The last bit about the 2-years home residency requirement is not true, it can apply even if you didn't get govt money if your expertise is in the "desirable skills" list of your country, and then you will have to request a waiver (which is much easier to do if you don't receive money from the US govt or from your home country, but still a pain in the butt).

Happened to me.

^what the person above me says.

And also be mindful of what you want to do AFTER your Ph.D. The extension of J1 for a postdoc can be nice, but if you don't have one lined up it can be a problem if you'd get one in a later point in time as you'd have to wait a year before another J1 visa can get issued. Same goes for academic jobs that go on a J1 visa (so you cant transfer from a J1-student visa to a J1-prof visa directly; you'd have to wait a year). 

Similarly, the OPT that is tied to a F1 can be great for people looking to get work experience after their PhD.