Gre scores to submit

BL250604

Hi all-

Just wanted to see some thoughts on this. I retook the GRE and did worse than expected, as I'm not a great standardized test taker. I came in with a 159 Q/ 152 V, and retook and got a 158 Q / 155V. Do you think that submitting the second test would be a better submission because of the higher V score, and the marginal decrease in the Q section? Also, I expect to have a better essay for this test, as I forgot to write a counter-argument last time. Is it possible to submit both?

Thanks!

I agree with bayessays. Adcoms for statistics care disproportionately about Q. If you got a 170 in quantitative but only a 150 in V and a 3 on essay, many if not most schools would be a-okay with that (so long as the rest of your app is decent). Or at least that's the vibe I've been getting.

Edited by theduckster

Yeah submit the higher V score. I suck at Standardized test too plus I have way too much going on in my life and only had a 161 Q, and I got into Yale. :)

Edited by StuartLittle

2 hours ago, bayessays said:

If we were talking a 10 point drop in your other scores but 1 point lower Q, that would be one thing. But 1 point vs. 3 points isn't a big deal - your Q score is low for statistics grad schools, and you need every point you can get. 

Thank you so much for your response, Bayes. I'm inclined to agree with you. I'll listen to your advice! Thanks so much.