Is it acceptable to talk to your POI?

sunrisesunset

Hey there

So this popular philosopher at my main choice for grad school is coming to my university. He might also be involved in the admissions process, but I don't know for sure.

Would it be a good idea to talk to him and ask if he would potentially supervise my work, if I got in? Or will I come across as trying to influence the admissions process, thereby ruining my chances?

Thanks

Edited by sunrisesunset

Acceptable: Yes.

Would it be a good idea: Yes, provided you know enough about his work and have a legitimate question (and if the question 'would he potentially supervise my work' is a natural thing to ask given the flow of the conversation). No, provided you are super awkward or are literally just trying to influence the admissions process.

8 hours ago, Duns Eith said:

Acceptable: Yes.

Would it be a good idea: Yes, provided you know enough about his work and have a legitimate question (and if the question 'would he potentially supervise my work' is a natural thing to ask given the flow of the conversation). No, provided you are super awkward or are literally just trying to influence the admissions process.

This is good advice. I once asked a POI "would you supervise my work if I'm accepted," but only because the POI's work was merely related to my own interests, and not coextensive. If you're worried about an impending retirement or what the POI's disposition is like, you're usually better served by reaching out to a grad student.

19 hours ago, hector549 said:

I once asked a POI "would you supervise my work if I'm accepted," but only because the POI's work was merely related to my own interests, and not coextensive

Do you remember how they responded?

6 hours ago, sunrisesunset said:

Do you remember how they responded?

Yes, the POI responded positively and was willing to work with me, even though my interests were more adjacent than overlapping.