Advice/Venting

Hello everyone, a little background..I graduated almost 3 years ago with my Bachelors in speech. Post graduation, I've worked as an ABA therapist since SLPA positions are unavailable in my area. Being an ABA therapist, I have seen so much growth within myself and my goal is to work as an SLP in an ABA facility.

I have applied to SIUC'S program for the past two years since it is within my area (southern indiana), and been waitlisted each time. I looking to apply to more online programs, but I am struggling to find them. I find myself so tempted to apply to programs such as emerson/nova but the cost, in addition to ungrad debt, really deters me. On one hand I am ready to dive headfirst into a program, the other I am considering my financial future. anyone else struggling with this? It's so difficult when you want something but can't figure out how to achieve it.

My GRE scores are..not great and my undergrad GPA over is 3.2, speech a 3.5. I am getting letters of rec this time around from 3 BCBA's at my work. Anyone have any program recommendations or application advice if you are/were in a similar situation?

I know admissions likes to see a variety of recommendations.. So getting 3 LOR's from BCBA's from the same company wouldn't be the best idea. I talked to the department head of a program and she also works closely with ASHA and their accreditation process, the year I applied there I had the 3 people from my job write me letters (1 OT, 1 BCBA and 1SLP), She told me letters should be from a variety of people and settings such as academic professors and/or supervisors and one coworker if need be.

Hope this helps

• 2 weeks later...

I'm still IN your situation, so unfortunately I don't feel like I can give advice. But it does feel great to know that there is another slp undergrad working in an ABA setting with a 3.2 gpa and "not great" gre scores. I have rec letters from my supervising SPED teacher, my supervising BCBA, and the SLP I work with daily.  I also graduated years ago (2015) and feel like I'm running out of time.   ?

Good luck to both of us!