Decisions..

Neurophilic

Hi everyone

I'm in a bit of a dilemma and would appreciate some friendly advice. I have applied to some clinical psychology and neuropsychology programs for Fall 2019, but am also trying to think long term in the event that I do not get accepted. 

Around 3-4 months ago I began a new part-time job as a clinical research coordinator. I thought this job would be perfect for experience, but the environment is really not what I expected and is not in psychology. Now, I've been offered a job as a psychometrist with a 40% pay increase.

Ultimately, as someone who is trying to get into these very competitive clinical psychology programs, which job do you think would offer a better foundation (and maybe impression for the admissions committee ?)? Research coordinator or psychometrist? On another note, leaving a job after 4 months is not easy.

Thanks!

N

I'm going to preface my thoughts by saying I am no expert on the admissions process, so I could be off base here.

That being said, I would argue the breakdown of desirable experience looks like this:
Ph.D.: 1. Research, clinically oriented, then 2. Clinical experience, especially within the population of interest

Psy.D.: 1. Clinical experience, population of interest, then 2. Research experience, general

I cannot speak to neuropsychology at all. That being said, I think it's important to keep in mind that a Ph.D. is a research degree at the end of the day. Ph.D. programs in general want to ensure you understand how to conduct research and, perhaps more importantly, you understand the literature itself. You want to show a strong theoretical understanding that drives your research work.

With this in mind, I would argue the clinical research coordinator, perhaps counterintuitively, looks better. That being said, I feel weird offering advice on a process I barely understand that steers you away from a substantial pay increase. Ultimately the decision will have to be yours. Perhaps you should speak with available mentors about what they think?

Also 0% an expert, but I would agree that all else being equal, a research position is more relevant for a PhD. With that said, when I was deciding what to do after an unsuccessful admissions cycle last year, one of my mentors told me that it's completely valid to take a higher paying job that is not as relevant. As much as we like to pretend we live and breathe our careers 24/7, there's more to life than research...and money usually helps improve those things :) And with something like being a psychometrist, it's clearly still related to what you want to do. If it's in an academic setting, you might even see if you could find a way to volunteer some time to get an authorship/poster with a PI in your department. I personally ended up sticking in a research position, but I have to supplement my income with a part-time higher paying job to live life comfortably. 

Hey friend! Is the research coordinator position in anyway related to some of the areas of research you're interested in? Furthermore, are you in a position to find your name as a co-author or first author on poster presentations and publications? That is more important towards your research experience than a position that is in research. If there is a clear demarcation of your position from the opportunities available, than having some advanced skills as a psychometrist may be useful. When applying to practicum positions during your program, having those skills will be relevant. In neuropsychology, especially, the background and familiarity with tests and reasons to use them will come in handy even at the early stages of your graduate training.

Thank you everyone :)

I ended up turning down the psychometrist position. Mostly due to the fact that I may only be able to commit 7 months. I didn't find this fair for the employer (who is head of psych at a hospital I one day wish to work at), or other applicants. 

I believe my RC position is valuable as is. Although it is not in psychology or my area of interest, it presents a handful of opportunities for me.