Decision Crunch Time (Friday)

I'm applying to Environmental Health (Public Health) grad programs, and this is what it's come down to:

a ) Yale is offering me a full tuition plus small stipend scholarship for an MPH. It's a great learning environment and I like the program, but

b ) Harvard has offered me admission to their SM program with literally no funding (well a $3,500 work study). Harvard is my dream program (I look at the required course list and at every new course I think "yes!," my career heroes would be my advisors there, Boston is a bit nicer than New Haven, and I could take courses at MIT). My only qualm is the $120,000 of debt I would incur.

Thoughts? I know I can't go wrong either way, but it's hard to turn down my dream school.

Thanks! :)

Edited by werd814

I think I would have to go with the funding.. but that is somehow because I feel like with Public Health even the best jobs are going to make it a long and difficult process to pay off such debt. But yeah... I definitely understand your dilemma. Still I think if it is between Yale and Harvard where you are going to be in 20 years will not make such a dramatic difference, but I guess you know the best.

I'm kind of with the first responder. This shouldn't really be a close decision :) Both are fantastic schools and good programs (I assume, though I'm not familiar with MPH rankings). But you're comparing getting paid to go to Yale vs. paying $120,000 to go to Harvard. Unless the job prospects of graduates from Harvard are much, much better than Yale, you're hurting yourself financially if you go to Harvard. That's kind of contrary to the whole point of getting a professional graduate degree, right? :)

Go for the funding. There are both stellar programs, but I seriously doubt that Harvard's is worth paying off $120K for the next 30 years. At Yale you will have no loans, and given some money to live off of.

It wouldn't hurt, would it, to email Harvard and say 'Okay, I'm head-over-heels in love with your program, but as it stands I wouldn't be able to make it work financially; is there anything else you might be able to do to help me out?'?

(Exotic punctuation scenarios for the win.)

haha oldlady and psycholnguist. Y'all are funny.

Chatted with Harvard profs-- no dice on moola. So, I visited Yale, and actually LOVED it. Absolutely moved it to the top of the list. It's hard to tell how much of an effect the money had on my decision, but either way, I signed the papers today.

YALE!! :lol:

I came out of the nerd closet years ago, so I thank you for the compliment!

* high-five * (Vulcan-hand-salute-high-five available upon request.)

Chatted with Harvard profs-- no dice on moola. So, I visited Yale, and actually LOVED it. Absolutely moved it to the top of the list. It's hard to tell how much of an effect the money had on my decision, but either way, I signed the papers today.

Yay! So glad everything worked out so well! And congrats!

Congratulations! I'm so glad you picked Yale!

Great! I think you made the right decision. (And yes, you LOVING it was affected by the money, but who cares - the choice is still good).