cost of TC masters program

eggsalad

I've just been admitted to Columbia Teachers College for a masters in Neuroscience and still waiting on a few more- I'm absolutely thrilled, love New York, the whole shibanggg, can't wait to visit... I'm having trouble figuring out how much this program at TC is going to cost per year/per semester. I read on the website something like $1,083 per credit, but what does this actually equate to for the typical student per semester/per year? Basically, what's a typical course-load in terms of credits and just how much do those extra fees cost? I am in the process of applying to scholarships and figuring out how to make this financially work. I hate that the website doesn't come right out with this type of information. I am pretty sure this is a two year program, but the website (even the section for admitted students) is unclear about this as well. Help is appreciated!!!

Also, do these fees seem comparable to other top education programs at HGSE & NYU?

On 3/24/2010 at 12:27 PM, eggsalad said:

I've just been admitted to Columbia Teachers College for a masters in Neuroscience and still waiting on a few more- I'm absolutely thrilled, love New York, the whole shibanggg, can't wait to visit... I'm having trouble figuring out how much this program at TC is going to cost per year/per semester. I read on the website something like $1,083 per credit, but what does this actually equate to for the typical student per semester/per year? Basically, what's a typical course-load in terms of credits and just how much do those extra fees cost? I am in the process of applying to scholarships and figuring out how to make this financially work. I hate that the website doesn't come right out with this type of information. I am pretty sure this is a two year program, but the website (even the section for admitted students) is unclear about this as well. Help is appreciated!!!

Also, do these fees seem comparable to other top education programs at HGSE & NYU?

https://my.tc.columbia.edu/render.UserLayoutRootNode.uP?uP_tparam=utf&utf=%2fcp%2fip%2flogin%3fsys%3dsctssb%26url%3dhttps://info.tc.columbia.edu/pls/wwwprod/bwrkrhst.P_DispAwdAidYear

https://my.tc.columbia.edu/render.UserLayoutRootNode.uP?uP_tparam=utf&utf=%2fcp%2fip%2flogin%3fsys%3dsctssb%26url%3dhttps://info.tc.columbia.edu/pls/wwwprod/bwrkrhst.P_DispAwdAidYear

Here is a link that gives you all the tuition and fees for 2009-10 I'm not sure what they have changed to this year. Not all of them will apply, but it is a good guideline. Most people that do not have full time jobs take about 12 or more courses a semester which at the rate they have advertised is about $13,524 plus some $368 fee which I believe pays for access to all of the Columbia stuff. Many of the programs only require 32 points which are the same as credit hours. So it is quite feasible to finish a degree in one year if that is the case. Usualy the Ed.M take two years. What I would reccomend is that you email the department or Admissions and ask to correspond with a current student who can give you the low down on what goes down. The most important are all the little things like rent in NY if you do not want to live like an artist is $1500 or more unless you have roomates. I have been doing some research and it seems like it might be better to live in one of the bourghous like Brooklyn (Williamsburg) which is like a spill over area from the city or Edgewater new Jersey which is convienient. I personally would live in Harlem/Morningside area. Transportation for a metro card is like $89 a month unlimited and walking is free. I do not know about your program, but alot of them offer a number of internships and assistantships that would likely aid in the financing. Eat ramen. Tuition is pretty much coverd under federal loands because they guarantee 20,000 a year and the best thing about federal loans are the income based repayments which equate your income to you payment amount so you wont have to make unimaginable payments. Also if you are going to be working in public service job i believe they cancel your federal loans after 10 years or 20 so pay back as slow as possible!!!Im sure the only thing you should really worry about is the tuition all other things you would be paying for any because you have to live somewhere and hey why not NY!!! Hope this helps. Im moving in May better yet on my birthday...it will be epic.

Can I ask a question? I'm honestly really curious...I know those of you who choose to go to TC have great credentials. Why go to a program like TC over one where you are fully funded?

Can I ask a question? I'm honestly really curious...I know those of you who choose to go to TC have great credentials. Why go to a program like TC over one where you are fully funded?

I guess it depends on what you look for. I like New York and I am young. I have a fellowship from an outside source and am working on others. I have a free place to live in new york. I guess its all situational. Also my program offers really good internships that pay for things like housing or tuition points. So in the end it all works out. I'd rather be happy where I want to be than funded and unhappy. And am I mistake but I thought lots of Masters programs were less than ideal when it comes to funding?

I guess it depends on what you look for. I like New York and I am young. I have a fellowship from an outside source and am working on others. I have a free place to live in new york. I guess its all situational. Also my program offers really good internships that pay for things like housing or tuition points. So in the end it all works out. I'd rather be happy where I want to be than funded and unhappy. And am I mistake but I thought lots of Masters programs were less than ideal when it comes to funding?

True, I guess I was thinking more of those going there for doctoral degrees. There are tons of great funded PhDs out there...

New York is great though - enjoy!

do you guys know if the "tuition assistance fund" in the financial aid package is a scholarship/grant or a loan?

thanks!

It is a scholarship. I do not know what they base it on, but I got it too... pretty substantial.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 years later...
On 2010-03-24 at 10:27 AM, eggsalad said:

LOL - just realized your post is from 2010. Hope all went well for you!

Hello! First off, congrats! I've been admitted to the same program as you and think I may accept my offer! If you click into the 'accepted students page' link from your acceptance message, you will see a breakdown of the costs which seems to be around 88,000$/year. Also - I spoke to an admissions liaison prior to applying and she said this program can be completed in a year (12 months) if done full-time with no interruptions, but most students take 1.5-2 years to complete it. Hope this helps!

Edited by gradstudenttobe33

46 minutes ago, gradstudenttobe33 said:

Hey all - just got in at TC as well. Does anyone know if when we get our diploma, it's a diploma from TC or from Columbia? What does it say on the diploma?

I'll try to ask past students in other forums as well. Best of luck to all!

The diploma says "Columbia University"