Thinking about quantitative psych (Applying next fall)

dqz1213dqz

I am a junior at a public ivy institution, majoring in math and philosophy, minoring in psych maintaining a 3.6 GPA. I will be applying to programs next fall. 

I have gotten into 1 research in a cognitive psych lab during the summer in which all I did was to read papers and proofread papers of the graduate students in the lab. 

I will be starting working with a faculty member during the spring, and will hopefully get to work on something that is more exciting.  

I have yet to take the GRE, but based on the practice test, I am probably going to be in the 315-320 range. My verbal and math scores do not differ very much. 

I am thinking about doing a Ph.D. in quantitative psych, and I could change one of my majors to psychology. How much can the psychology major name help me in the application process? 

What could I do in the spring and in the summer to be more competitive?

many thanks. 

To become competitive, you want to gain more research experience. You want to be as active in research as possible, and try to get a poster or two presented at a conference. Changing one of your majors may not necessarily change anything. You just want to make sure you've taken the pre-requisites that psych programs want to see. You can most likely get those as the minor, but I would look into it a bit further. 

12 hours ago, Hk328 said:

To become competitive, you want to gain more research experience. You want to be as active in research as possible, and try to get a poster or two presented at a conference. Changing one of your majors may not necessarily change anything. You just want to make sure you've taken the pre-requisites that psych programs want to see. You can most likely get those as the minor, but I would look into it a bit further. 

Thanks for this advice! This is really helpful!