Research prep for interview - PIs or interviewers?

palyndrone

I received an invite for a 30 minute Skype interview (University of Florida, Microbiology and Cell Science) next week, and the interview is going to be conducted by 2 faculty in the department. Neither of the faculty members conducting the interview are people I listed as potential PIs in my SOP. I think it might be a preliminary interview before formal in-person ones are sent, but I'm not totally sure. My dilemma is: should I brush up on the recent publications of my interviewers, or should I focus on the research from labs I put in my SOP? Is it more likely they'll reference their own work, or ask me about other faculty that I indicated interest in? Thanks for the help!

22 hours ago, palyndrone said:

I received an invite for a 30 minute Skype interview (University of Florida, Microbiology and Cell Science) next week, and the interview is going to be conducted by 2 faculty in the department. Neither of the faculty members conducting the interview are people I listed as potential PIs in my SOP. I think it might be a preliminary interview before formal in-person ones are sent, but I'm not totally sure. My dilemma is: should I brush up on the recent publications of my interviewers, or should I focus on the research from labs I put in my SOP? Is it more likely they'll reference their own work, or ask me about other faculty that I indicated interest in? Thanks for the help!

I would recommend brushing up on your research statement and lines of research you potentially would like to do there. They'll probably not quiz you on your POIs work and ask more about your work to see if you'll be a good fit (personality and all) for the school, department and the labs. :) all the best!

Definitely focus on your own research experience and just know who you're interested in working with at that school and why. You're probably being interviewed by people you didn't list because these are people in the admissions committee. You're not expected to know about their work.