Interview Questions

Manilo

Hello,

I have an interview next week and would like to know the best way of approaching this question during an interview. If an interviewer ask you "What are your research interest?"  

Do you answer with a specific interest?, or do you go with a general answer?

I have applied to a big umbrella program, but I would like to let them know I am open to exploring other areas of Biomedical research, apart from one specific.

If you have a few specific interests, definitely state them as best as you can. Because it's an umbrella program, they want to know that you are interested in or at least knowledgeable on a few areas of research. But definitely state your specific interest(s). If you do not have a specific one, go with a general/fundamental biological question that interests you, e.g. protein structure/function relationship, pathogenesis, disease treatment, etc. But I would also research on specific hot topic areas that fall within these fundamental questions.

On the other hand, if you are interested in specific things, I would maybe begin your interest description with a general question and then dive into the specifics. The faculty wants to see that you are thinking about biology and biomedical science in a holistic manner.

Out of curiosity, which interview are you going to?

Well, what are your research interests?

Just state them as simply as you can. For me it was neurodegeneration, but with related subinterests of neuroinflammation and protein aggregation.

It's not meant to be a complicated question/answer.

Probably the more important questions they'll ask are "Why do you want a PhD?" and "Why this school?". 

On 1/4/2019 at 11:24 PM, pexygalax said:

If you have a few specific interests, definitely state them as best as you can. Because it's an umbrella program, they want to know that you are interested in or at least knowledgeable on a few areas of research. But definitely state your specific interest(s). If you do not have a specific one, go with a general/fundamental biological question that interests you, e.g. protein structure/function relationship, pathogenesis, disease treatment, etc. But I would also research on specific hot topic areas that fall within these fundamental questions.

On the other hand, if you are interested in specific things, I would maybe begin your interest description with a general question and then dive into the specifics. The faculty wants to see that you are thinking about biology and biomedical science in a holistic manner.

Out of curiosity, which interview are you going to?

thank you! so far Uwisc-Madison and UCSD

Different question about interviews: what's the dress code? And will it vary by school?

My assumption is business casual, and probably closer to the science version of business casual which leans more casual...

Anyone who has interviewed previous years that can give me a better idea?  I don't want to show up in black jeans and a blazer to a room full of suits. 

1 hour ago, DevoLevo said:

Different question about interviews: what's the dress code? And will it vary by school?

My assumption is business casual, and probably closer to the science version of business casual which leans more casual...

Anyone who has interviewed previous years that can give me a better idea?  I don't want to show up in black jeans and a blazer to a room full of suits. 

It depends on the school and usually they let you know in the invite email. But to be on the safe side just wear business casual (chinos or slacks based on your preference and button-up shirt or a more casual dress shirt should suffice, for men). A cardigan (or a blazer if you wanna appear more formal) can be added if you think you'll be outside for quite a bit.

Edited by pexygalax

On 1/8/2019 at 7:06 PM, DevoLevo said:

It was business casual at all the schools where I interviewed. No jeans. Slacks/skirts/dresses, button downs/blouses, cardigans/blazers, flats/boots (heels not advised). Any combination should work.

Thursday night dinner with current students is nicer end of casual. Dinners with faculty are business casual or casual end of business casual.

Comfy shoes advised. Also check the weather because snow/rain.