Funding for MA programs in Museum Studies

AspiringHistorian97

I am looking to apply to MA programs in the museums studies realm, but the funding has been pretty lacking thus far. I know there are programs out there with assistantships, fellowships, or other sources of funding, but I have not been able to dig any up. I am flexible to travel anywhere really, so that is not a barrier. If anyone could point me in the right direction or give their opinion that would be wonderful. I have found amazing topics on Grad Cafe regarding schools with funding for other programs, but I have not found any great topics on museum studies. 

@AspiringHistorian97 Unfortunately in the arts and humanities full or even partial funding for Master's degrees is quite difficult to come by; usually funding is earmarked for PhD programs. There are some schools that offer some sources of partial funding through assistantships or scholarships. For example, the University of Kansas offers an MA and Graduate Certificate in Museum studies and the University as a whole offers some limited funding for master's students.

A great resource is the American Alliance of Museums. They have a pretty comprehensive directory of reputable museum related undergrad and grad programs that you can search by location, degree type, full time/part-time status and discipline.  As a side note though I'm sure you've found this in your research: museum studies and curatorial studies programs often have a significant amount in common, so if you're not finding museum studies programs you like you may try searching for curatorial studies programs.

Hope this helps!

Edited by CNord

Virginia Commonwealth University funds MA students for their art history/museum studies programs (though they do not advertise it). The majority of students receive tuition remission and an annual stipend. Richmond is a great place to study considering the VMFA and ICA are both located there. I would not, however, recommend sticking around for a PhD if that is your end goal.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest tarsila89

Not museum studies, but Art History MA at UC Davis also has amazing funding, every quarter people get good TAships that pay well, and all tuition is covered. 

• 2 weeks later...