Do I stand a chance?

ddd777

Hi all! I recently completed my undergrad and I'm currently finishing up my applications for the Fall of 2019. I'm applying to 4 schools and I was confident at first, but now I'm wondering if I'm even a good candidate for graduate school. I know for a fact that I want to do social work, I can't see myself doing anything else. The problem is I'm severely lacking in relevant experience in the field. To give you a better picture, let me tell you relevant info and stats

Undergrad: UCONN

Major: Psychology 

Minor: Women's Gender and Sexuality studies

Overall GPA: 3.288 (I tried to be a business major one semester and I hated it, my last 60 credits are closer to a 3.7) 

Major GPA: 3.7

Volunteer experience: mentored for a semester, and volunteer at a crisis counseling hotline. I volunteer remotely, and because of this, I am not able to ask my supervisor for a letter of rec as we barely interact. 

I also worked part-time all throughout my undergrad because my parents can't support me financially aside from paying for school. 

I tried to tie in the experience I do have as much as I could in my personal statement, but I just don't think I'm a good candidate. My three letters of recommendation are from professors because I only mentored for a semester and barely knew my supervisor, I don't need to interact with my supervisor because I volunteer from home, so I don't know how much she can speak to my ability to being a social worker. 

I'm applying to NYU, UCONN, Hunter and Columbia.  

8 hours ago, ddd777 said:

Hi all! I recently completed my undergrad and I'm currently finishing up my applications for the Fall of 2019. I'm applying to 4 schools and I was confident at first, but now I'm wondering if I'm even a good candidate for graduate school. I know for a fact that I want to do social work, I can't see myself doing anything else. The problem is I'm severely lacking in relevant experience in the field. To give you a better picture, let me tell you relevant info and stats

Undergrad: UCONN

Major: Psychology 

Minor: Women's Gender and Sexuality studies

Overall GPA: 3.288 (I tried to be a business major one semester and I hated it, my last 60 credits are closer to a 3.7) 

Major GPA: 3.7

Volunteer experience: mentored for a semester, and volunteer at a crisis counseling hotline. I volunteer remotely, and because of this, I am not able to ask my supervisor for a letter of rec as we barely interact. 

I also worked part-time all throughout my undergrad because my parents can't support me financially aside from paying for school. 

I tried to tie in the experience I do have as much as I could in my personal statement, but I just don't think I'm a good candidate. My three letters of recommendation are from professors because I only mentored for a semester and barely knew my supervisor, I don't need to interact with my supervisor because I volunteer from home, so I don't know how much she can speak to my ability to being a social worker. 

I'm applying to NYU, UCONN, Hunter and Columbia.  

I think you'll be fine! I have less relevant experience than you and I was admitted to Columbia last year. Seriously, stop doubting yourself so much! I know it's natural at this point in the process but I honestly think you'll be okay.