Columbia and NYU

Ashley_msw_ny

Hi, I was accepted to Columbia’s two-year MSW program last year. I applied on the deadline (Feb 15th) and did not hear back until April. My GPA is a 3.5, no real experience, BA in an unrelated field. I think I saw that you are applying for Advanced Standing. Anecdotally, that program seemed much more selective than the regular two-year program (based on people’s stats from the thread last year), so take that as you will.

1 hour ago, doctormelody said:

Hi, I was accepted to Columbia’s two-year MSW program last year. I applied on the deadline (Feb 15th) and did not hear back until April. My GPA is a 3.5, no real experience, BA in an unrelated field. I think I saw that you are applying for Advanced Standing. Anecdotally, that program seemed much more selective than the regular two-year program (based on people’s stats from the thread last year), so take that as you will.

Woah, that's incredible. I am applying to the 16 month accelerated program, but I have no idea if it's more competitive. You decided not to go, right? How come?

9 minutes ago, Mentalhealthgirl1 said:

Woah, that's incredible. I am applying to the 16 month accelerated program, but I have no idea if it's more competitive. You decided not to go, right? How come?

Is that the same thing as Advanced Standing? I’d recommend looking through the thread from last year to get an idea of what they’re looking for. There are pages and pages of us moaning about how long it took for them to get back to us, though, so just be forewarned. Also, people got rejected with some pretty impressive stats, so my guess is that it’s not all about GPA.

And yeah, I didn’t go. They only gave me 11,000 a year in scholarship money, and with the extremely high tuition and cost of living in NYC combined with the fact that I already have debt from undergrad, it just didn’t make sense in any way. The fact that my boyfriend flat-out refused to move to NYC also made it easier to turn down tbh. As soon as I did, I felt a massive sense of relief. Unless you get a substantial scholarship/your parents can help/you’re independently wealthy, I don’t see how anyone can justify the cost, tbh.

Edited by doctormelody