Psy.D. Interviews- What to expect

aer621

Hey everyone!

I'm so excited to begin interviewing for Psy.D. programs in a few weeks. I am a first time applicant, and I'm hoping that someone with more experience or knowledge of the process can tell me about what to expect. (how much of the day is the actual interview, what kinds of research questions to be prepared to answer, and how much to know about the faculty research--should all of their articles be read?)

Since Psy.D. interviews are not necessarily with faculty with similar interests, how much should we know about them/their research

Thanks in advance!

Edited by aer621

Hiiii! I'll PM you about CHC specifically too since I just did their interview :)

In general they are assessing for "fit" in terms of their idea of what makes a good clinician. So expect questions about why their program, what are your views on mental health, what theory speaks to you, what kinds of populations you want to work with or believe are underserved, what kind of prac experiences do you want, and what you want to do in the future. There will be some research questions but they do want to weed out the folks who are all-in on research as that would not be a good fit. So emphasize that you want to have the well rounded experience of research, and clinical, and supervision, and teaching, and program design/eval, etc. 

Edited by dancedementia

1 minute ago, dancedementia said:

Hiiii! I'll PM you about CHC specifically too since I just did their interview :)

In general they are assessing for "fit" in terms of their idea of what makes a good clinician. So expect questions about why their program, what are your views on mental health, what theory speaks to you, what kinds of populations you want to work with or believe are underserved, what kind of prac experiences do you want, and what you want to do in the future. There will be some research questions but they do want to weed out the folks who are all-in on research as that would not be a good fit. So emphasize that you want to have the well rounded experience of research, and clinical, and supervision, and teaching, and program design/eval, etc. 

That is so extremely helpful!!! Thank you!!