PhD English, Creative Writing 2019 Applicants

Hi! I'm a 2018 MFA grad. I applied to Denver,  USC, and FSU in creative writing. I applied to the rest in English Lit programs! 

I have a couple of friends in Denver and they all heard back in January via phone call so I'm getting nervous! 

Best of luck to you!

• 1 month later...
13 minutes ago, spectrum-in said:

Bumping this thread! I've been waitlisted at USC, and radio silence from FSU. Hoping for good (and better @theotherbrontesister, congrats!) news for you both!

Hi! What's your genre? Radio silence from FSU too over here. I was rejected from USC but kind of expected it because I never took the subject test haha. Where else did you apply?

I'm in Fiction! What about you? USC and FSU are the only two Creative Writing PhDs I applied to, but I applied to Duke, Wisconsin-Madison, Princeton, NYU, UToronto for English, and Harvard for AAS. The waiting game has been truly torturous, but I suppose we're getting down to the end now!

I’m Poetry! Did you do an mfa? 

36 minutes ago, spectrum-in said:

I'm in Fiction! What about you? USC and FSU are the only two Creative Writing PhDs I applied to, but I applied to Duke, Wisconsin-Madison, Princeton, NYU, UToronto for English, and Harvard for AAS. The waiting game has been truly torturous, but I suppose we're getting down to the end now!

Hi. Fiction applicant here. I applied to the University of Hawaii at Manoa and The University of Lousiana at Lafayette. Last year I did Denver (no go) and Hawaii. Got in Hawaii last year with no funding. But already got rejected from Manoa (ouch). I wrote a brand new critical paper and sent it out this year and now I`m worried its weaker than my previous one. I have my heart set on Lafayette, so not getting into Manoa didn`t break my heart completely, but it has shaken my confidence. I`v e been pouring over the internet tryng to find admission statistics for both departments and sleeping fitfully. 

Hey, USC folks, congrats! That program is ridiculous. I know someone in it who is unbelievably happy - it has so much rigor, but so much by way of resources!

Can I ask about your publication histories? I'd heard that most USC admittees have book deals already. It sounds like heresay, but also came from a recent grad, so. I'm trying to decide whether to do CW at USC or lit. 

Thanks for the congrats! Being waitlisted is such a mixed bag. Re: publication history, I've been published in two smaller journals, but nothing aside from that. I have no such thing even approaching a book deal (or a book...), lol. I am finishing up an MFA, however!

I probably know the answer to this question but wanted to throw it out there: I applied to Georgia State. Recently I received an invitation for a departmental meet and greet in early March. However they have not yet send out decisions, and from what I have gleaned from past years, they will not in until late March/early April (which seems wildly late). Can I take this as a good sign? Or the answer I think I know—it doesn't mean anything and is just one of those mean things that universities sometimes do to applicants to get their hopes up.

On 2/21/2019 at 8:30 AM, spectrum-in said:

Bumping this thread! I've been waitlisted at USC, and radio silence from FSU. Hoping for good (and better @theotherbrontesister, congrats!) news for you both!

have you heard anything from FSU at this point? I'm assuming i've been rejected but it's getting late! 

Has anyone heard anything from UC Santa Cruz? Last year I got my rejection 2/21...I wonder what's going on. (Fiction applicant).

Pending: UC Santa Cruz, Georgia State 
WL: Tennessee 
Rejected: Denver, UWM
Rejected Non-CRW: UC Santa Barbara, Minnesota,  Northeastern
Pending Fellowships: Stegner, Steinbeck, Olive B. O'Connor

Edited by Nomad91
updating with app statuses

I applied to FSU in poetry and was notified yesterday of being waitlisted. I asked one of my thesis committee members who is a recent PhD grad there and he said “I don’t think the huge waitlist thing is true, for what it’s worth,” but that’s not definitive. 

Would it be worth it/appropriate to email the school and ask the size of their waitlist?