Quick Q and a request for critics!

Ok, my quick question is for a SOP that is supposed to be 500 words, is it ok to go very slightly over that? I am trying to cut out all flowery words and extras that are not necessary and don't detract from the points I am trying to make, but I am stuck at 522 words. This might be arbitrary, but I just want to be sure!!!

And if anyone wants to give it a quick read with a super critical eye that would be much appreciated!

Thanks!

I feel your pain. Purdue asked for a 500 word SOP; they got about 650 words. I'm 35 years old and I had a lot to explain and touch on in my SOP. In short, I felt as if my SOP would be worthless if I cut anymore. I think that 522 words should be fine. I seriously doubt that they count the words. Of course, I was rejected by Purdue...

Good luck!

• 3 weeks later...

I believe a little over the limit is okay, given your essay isn't entered into a box online that limits your word count, or a form that could cut off the end of your essay without your knowing. That said, I was incredibly superstitious about going over the limit, and made more than one of my essays equal the word limit exactly. :lol:

Just double-check how the SoP will be submitted. If you're writing it in MS Word and end up with a 520 word count, that's no problem, but if the application is online and they cut you off after 500 words, then you'll just have to go back and trim it anyway.

(And what's up with 500-word SoPs? That's like a haiku.)

Georgetown University also asked for 500 or 600 words (I don't remember) and I ended up writing 800+. I know! I just had too many things to say and felt that taking things out would hurt my application.

I got in, by the way (although without funding)

I am going to be the voice of dissent. Follow the rules. Follow the rules. Follow the rules. Some schools are sticklers about this and others are not but the fact is you cannot know which is which. And what a horrible way to be eliminated -- on a technicality.

I am going to be the voice of dissent. Follow the rules. Follow the rules. Follow the rules. Some schools are sticklers about this and others are not but the fact is you cannot know which is which. And what a horrible way to be eliminated -- on a technicality.

I agree! Except: you can email them and ask if X words is ok or not.

• 2 months later...

Why not just follow the rules? The reason for the rules is to make sure that all applicants have the same opportunity to explain their background/fit/et al to the adcom. By not following the rules, are you not more or less saying that you believe that you're more important than all other applicants?

+1