Help: As a Canadian, is it worth to study in the UK for an MA?

ekat97

Question

I'm looking to complete an MA in English Literature (or related Humanities-disciplines like Critical/Cultural Theory etc). The UK has some of the highest-ranked postgrad schools for this in the top 20 lists, such as University College London and King's College, but their international fees are RIDICULOUS, like almost $40 000 CAD, and it doesn't seem like there are many scholarships available for international students. Does anyone have advice/experience about this Canadian-UK transition and if they could testify that it's worth it? Does the high rank and resources of the school offset the exorbitant cost? 

1 answer to this question

6 hours ago, ekat97 said:

I'm looking to complete an MA in English Literature (or related Humanities-disciplines like Critical/Cultural Theory etc). The UK has some of the highest-ranked postgrad schools for this in the top 20 lists, such as University College London and King's College, but their international fees are RIDICULOUS, like almost $40 000 CAD, and it doesn't seem like there are many scholarships available for international students. Does anyone have advice/experience about this Canadian-UK transition and if they could testify that it's worth it? Does the high rank and resources of the school offset the exorbitant cost? 

I've looked into this, and in short, the answer is no. You can get a comparable master's education in the Canada/U.S. and then go for a fully-funded Ph.D. if you're still interested in studying at a "highly ranked" school, as you mentioned.