Fordham MSW personal statements

foxymsw

Hi, was wondering if anyone was applying to fordhams msw program for fall 2019, and if so, have any suggestions/tips for writing the personal statement! It states to talk about a social issue and they also note to use APA formatting to include any references/citations. Did anyone use any outside resources? Would that be necessary if this is a personal statement? I am having trouble starting this personal statement so any help/tips/suggestions are welcome! If anyone has applied and was accepted into Fordham already, any advice for the personal statements? Thanks!

• foxymsw changed the title to Fordham MSW personal statements

Using sources is not necessary. If you choose to use sources, cite using the APA format. You can approach this essay with (1) a personal approach, drawing from personal experiences,  (2) an academic perspective, offering a cogent analysis of the social issue, drawing upon research literature to support your argument, or (3) a mixture of both.

8 hours ago, Noegenesis said:

Using sources is not necessary. If you choose to use sources, cite using the APA format. You can approach this essay with (1) a personal approach, drawing from personal experiences,  (2) an academic perspective, offering a cogent analysis of the social issue, drawing upon research literature to support your argument, or (3) a mixture of both.

thanks for the tip! I was wondering how you know this info and if you applied as well? thanks!

3 hours ago, foxymsw said:

thanks for the tip! I was wondering how you know this info and if you applied as well? thanks!

I haven't applied to Fordham, but I applied to several others and was admitted. Some of the personal statements were similar to yours. I generally took a more academic approach to my essays.