Questions about post-bacc classes & college GPA

Hey everyone!

So to start off, I graduated in May 2018 with a 2.76 GPA in communication disorders. While I always knew my passion for speech, I clearly didn't take college as seriously as I should've, or could've (as reflected in my GPA!). 

During/since I have graduated, I've gotten experience with clinical internships and volunteer work in various settings related to the field, and did ABA therapy. I'm in the process of studying for the GRE and plan on taking it soon.

However, I recognize that despite my experience and GRE scores, most, if not all schools require a 3.0 GPA minimum, and this is the biggest barrier between even submitting my applications to graduate school and being considered. 

I have heard about people taking post-bacc classes to boost their GPA, however, I thought that post-bacc classes are for those who graduated with a degree outside of the field and wish to enter the field? I attempted to reach out to my undergraduate advisor and he told me that as someone who got their undergrad degree in communication disorders, there is not much I can do to raise my GPA and post-bacc classes aren't an option. 

While I recognize that I've made some pretty dumb decisions as an undergrad, I would hate for GPA to stand in between me and the dream that I've had my whole life of being an SLP. I'm willing to put in time and work into improving my application and proving to schools that I am capable, and serious about the field but I have absolutely NO clue how to first reach the GPA requirements of 3.0. 

I was hoping somebody could clarify for me how post-bacc classes work in terms of boosting GPA for someone who graduated with a communication disorders degree (if that's possible), or how I can get myself on the right track with my GPA. Everything else (work experience, letters of recommendations, etc) I feel like I have a pretty good grasp on but I don't know how to overcome a low GPA, but I hope and pray that this won't rule me out of the field forever! 

Thanks in advance for your help guys :)

16 minutes ago, pinkypink said:

Hey everyone!

So to start off, I graduated in May 2018 with a 2.76 GPA in communication disorders. While I always knew my passion for speech, I clearly didn't take college as seriously as I should've, or could've (as reflected in my GPA!). 

During/since I have graduated, I've gotten experience with clinical internships and volunteer work in various settings related to the field, and did ABA therapy. I'm in the process of studying for the GRE and plan on taking it soon.

However, I recognize that despite my experience and GRE scores, most, if not all schools require a 3.0 GPA minimum, and this is the biggest barrier between even submitting my applications to graduate school and being considered. 

I have heard about people taking post-bacc classes to boost their GPA, however, I thought that post-bacc classes are for those who graduated with a degree outside of the field and wish to enter the field? I attempted to reach out to my undergraduate advisor and he told me that as someone who got their undergrad degree in communication disorders, there is not much I can do to raise my GPA and post-bacc classes aren't an option. 

While I recognize that I've made some pretty dumb decisions as an undergrad, I would hate for GPA to stand in between me and the dream that I've had my whole life of being an SLP. I'm willing to put in time and work into improving my application and proving to schools that I am capable, and serious about the field but I have absolutely NO clue how to first reach the GPA requirements of 3.0. 

I was hoping somebody could clarify for me how post-bacc classes work in terms of boosting GPA for someone who graduated with a communication disorders degree (if that's possible), or how I can get myself on the right track with my GPA. Everything else (work experience, letters of recommendations, etc) I feel like I have a pretty good grasp on but I don't know how to overcome a low GPA, but I hope and pray that this won't rule me out of the field forever! 

Thanks in advance for your help guys :)

Hi, 

I am not a post-bacc but I know post-bacc is when you have a degree in any field other than speech-language ( or COMD). With that being said, you won't need to take classes as a "post-bacc" but I would suggest retaking classes that you received a "B-" or less it. Utah state college allows you to retake comd classes and you register as a non-degree seeking student. I checked on prices a while back and it was ~$900 per class.

8 minutes ago, Toya said:

Hi, 

I am not a post-bacc but I know post-bacc is when you have a degree in any field other than speech-language ( or COMD). With that being said, you won't need to take classes as a "post-bacc" but I would suggest retaking classes that you received a "B-" or less it. Utah state college allows you to retake comd classes and you register as a non-degree seeking student. I checked on prices a while back and it was ~$900 per class.

Hey,

Thanks for your response Toya :)

Have you had experience taking these courses from USU?

18 hours ago, pinkypink said:

Hey,

Thanks for your response Toya :)

Have you had experience taking these courses from USU?

No, I was going to take acoustics again but I really hate acoustic and don't get the concept so I'm keeping my "B-" lol. I registered then quickly dropped the course. 

Hi -Have you thought about taking non-CSD college classes to boost your gpa?  I believe that CSDCAS just averages them all so you could take education or psychology classes.  A counseling class or classroom management/behavior class will be very valuable in the field. 

I think you might want to actually reach out to a few programs that you are interested in and see if they have any suggestions for you. Although many programs state that a 3.0 is the cut-off, it's actually much higher in many cases. 

If you retake speech classes, CSDCAS will average the two scores which is important to know for future GPA considerations if you are applying to schools that use CSDCAS. That said, I'd be concerned that you might not have an adequte base of background knowledge if you don't. 

I don't want to discourage you, but I think you need to do a bunch of research and look at different options. Speech is highly competitive, and it's probably going to take more than retaking a few classes and studying for the GRE.