Computer science master's recommendation

a fragrant plant

My partner is interested in pursuing a Master's degree in computer science in the U.S. He has no intention to go into research/PhD. He just wants to get a Master's degree that will improve his academic calibre (and come with me to the U.S. while I am studying for my PhD). Although he's a straight A student and has over 8 years of professional experience, his B.S. is a three-year degree from an unbranded university in the United Kingdom. I'd be grateful if you could recommend us some M.S. programs that mainly target software developers in the industry. We are particularly interested in programs that offer funding for Master's applicants. Thank you!

Edited by Peanut

If he's going with you to the US, then I'm guessing that you guys will be living together? If this is true, then it must mean he is limited to only nearby universities. Unless you mean both of you will be in the US at the same time, but not necessarily living together.

• 8 months later...

I actually think Northeastern would not be a bad fit.

It offers funding to some MS students - scholarships and assistantships.

It is fairly easy to gear your curriculum, as an MS student, toward practice-oriented classes.

It has a first-rate careers office, and allows MS students to do co-ops (where you work full-time at a company for a semester while maintaining your student status), which are very helpful for job placement.

It is easier to get into than places like Stanford, and they like people with industry experience.

Also, it is in Boston, and there are many good research universities in the Boston area, to which you could apply (making it more likely that you could be together).