A big mistake or a small one?

I'm an international student. As I come from another culture, and I am not quite familiar with the norms in the American academia. Unfortunately, I did not use any "Dr." or "Professor" suffix before the name of my ex-professors and the ones I am interested in working with on my SOP. However, I wrote their name/surname together all the time.

Is it a big deal? Did I sound rude?

3 hours ago, Newsprint said:

I'm an international student. As I come from another culture, and I am not quite familiar with the norms in the American academia. Unfortunately, I did not use any "Dr." or "Professor" suffix before the name of my ex-professors and the ones I am interested in working with on my SOP. However, I wrote their name/surname together all the time.

Is it a big deal? Did I sound rude?

As an American currently in a German MA program I can say with certainty it is NOWHERE near as big a deal as it would be here for instance. If the program is in California for instance I highly doubt it would matter unless the person is being uppity. I would not worry. Fuck hierarchies anyway, they have to understand it was a mistake, and if their ego can't deal then they probably would be irritating to work with anyway.

I read one of my friend’s SoPs after she got into a doctoral program at a big name Ivy League, and she used professors’ first and last names for both her own recommenders and POI at the school. I think you’ll be fine :) 

Some feedback I got from a mentor/LOR writer is that you can use "Dr" or "Prof" to signpost the people you've worked with in case the adcomm is reading your application in a hurry.

But I did not use honorifics for a single POI in any of my 9 SoPs. So........I guess you can use me as a case study when all is said and done :)