Measure Me Up - Econ

Lmntry

Hello! I just wanted to see how I measured up. I am applying to MS and MA Econ programs - I picked a few very selective programs and a few not-very-selective programs. I am very passionate about Economic research. I thought going for a MS/MA before applying to a PhD program would at least give me the advantage of grad-level econometrics, a few better reference letters, some data science experience, and maybe a paper or something to speak to. While I know I’m not cut for top-15 (who knows, maybe not top 50) I wonder if I am competitive as a candidate at all. Basically, I plan to apply and if I don’t get in anywhere, my next step would be to continue working full-time, taking math classes, and learning R on the side.

Undergrad: Anonymous, Nobody-Cares State School.
Undergrad Major: Accounting with a minor in Econ. I’m currently enrolled in calc 1, as I skated around this requirement somehow. I do have Intermediate Micro and Trade Theory under my belt?
Undergrad GPA: 3.56
LOR: 2 undergrad Econ professors, and my former employer

Am I going to be shunned now because I didn’t break 160+ on the Quant?

For Reference:
Undergrad: UC Berkeley, Honors Law & Economics/Public Policy
Undergrad GPA: 3.62
LOR: Thesis advisor, Department Chair, and CA State Senator
SOP: Orphan. Worked for the US Senate, US Congress, CA State Senate
Work Experience: 6 years in policy, two in research, started a non-profit

GRE: 160 Q/ 160V/ 4.0 AWA

Denied: Georgetown Economics, Masters of Science in Economics 
Accepted: Georgetown Economics, Masters of Arts of Political Economics

8 minutes ago, marksheppard said:

For Reference:
Undergrad: UC Berkeley, Honors Law & Economics/Public Policy
Undergrad GPA: 3.62
LOR: Thesis advisor, Department Chair, and CA State Senator
SOP: Orphan. Worked for the US Senate, US Congress, CA State Senate
Work Experience: 6 years in policy, two in research, started a non-profit

GRE: 160 Q/ 160V/ 4.0 AWA

Denied: Georgetown Economics, Masters of Science in Economics 
Accepted: Georgetown Economics, Masters of Arts of Political Economics

Yeah, I don't have any senators for my LOR.  or the impressive undergrad background. 

6 minutes ago, Lmntry said:

Yeah, I don't have any senators for my LOR.  or the impressive undergrad background. 

I think having a strong quant background is imperative. I doubt that LORs are the most informative component of a application.
Holistic review is in effect, but I'd assume that GRE/GPA are used as the most determinant factors.
But also applying early and luck are massively understated variables.

Find a few programs that you're interested in, reach out to the departments, try and ask the program director these same questions, with the explicit goal of building rapport.
MS/MA in Economics programs are typically offered at very competitive schools, so apply to a few programs, especially if there is an early decision option.

On 1/21/2019 at 4:20 PM, marksheppard said:

I think having a strong quant background is imperative. I doubt that LORs are the most informative component of a application.
Holistic review is in effect, but I'd assume that GRE/GPA are used as the most determinant factors.
But also applying early and luck are massively understated variables.

Find a few programs that you're interested in, reach out to the departments, try and ask the program director these same questions, with the explicit goal of building rapport.
MS/MA in Economics programs are typically offered at very competitive schools, so apply to a few programs, especially if there is an early decision option.

Yeaaaah. I sorta did that. I feel so, so on the fence. 

I know I ultimately want to go for a PhD; I guess I'll see where I get in and decide whether or not to wait another year and take math classes and then apply for a PhD program. For some reason, I think that getting a MS/MA first would make me more fit to do research? 
How do you feel about that?

1 minute ago, Lmntry said:

Yeaaaah. I sorta did that. I feel so, so on the fence. 
I'm looking so far at UCLA, U Michigan, UIC, UCSC, Tufts (just to try), U Minnesota, and Texas A&M. 

I know I ultimately want to go for a PhD; I guess I'll see where I get in and decide whether or not to wait another year and take math classes and then apply for a PhD program. For some reason, I think that getting a MS/MA first would make me more fit to do research? 
How do you feel about that?

I applied to a MA for very much the same reason, with the express goal of applying to a PhD in Economics as a stronger candidate.
It's difficult to gauge admissions probability.

Currently I'm in the process of applying to a MA in Statistics, simply because the candidate pool for PhDs in Economics have become so competitive.
This can all seem very discouraging at times, but just be glad that you're not applying to a PhD in Statistics. Those profiles are insane.

12 minutes ago, marksheppard said:

I applied to a MA for very much the same reason, with the express goal of applying to a PhD in Economics as a stronger candidate.
It's difficult to gauge admissions probability.

Currently I'm in the process of applying to a MA in Statistics, simply because the candidate pool for PhDs in Economics have become so competitive.
This can all seem very discouraging at times, but just be glad that you're not applying to a PhD in Statistics. Those profiles are insane.

Woooowwww

I mean, I don't know what Econ PhD programs you are interested in, but I have a friend who is in a PhD program at U Minnesota who went into it with something like an MPP and a background in History. Granted, he did go to Tufts and I think he has good experience behind him, I would think that the competition wouldn't be so bad for someone in your position. Have you applied and been rejected? I basically came on here to try to test how inflammatory the internet is. 

Just now, Lmntry said:

Woooowwww

I mean, I don't know what Econ PhD programs you are interested in, but I have a friend who is in a PhD program at U Minnesota who went into it with something like an MPP and a background in History. Granted, he did go to Tufts and I think he has good experience behind him, I would think that the competition wouldn't be so bad for someone in your position. Have you applied and been rejected? I basically came on here to try to test how inflammatory the internet is. 

Ideally, I'm aiming for a PhD program between Carnegie Mellon and Georgetown.

I just went to talk to a professor today, about applying to a PhD earlier today, hoping to ask for a new LOR.
And the professor basically told me to get more math and almost explicitly discouraged me from applying to an Economics PhD.

Granted, that professor could be a bad barometer (as I could be as well), but still. 

Yknow, I got hard-core mixed reviews when reaching out to different admissions boards asking if I would be automatically eliminated from the candidate pool for not having a strong quant background. Econ is such that on the one hand, it’s a social science, and on the other hand, it’s relatively more quantitative than other social sciences. I think all of this math hype (to the extent of ‘you need a graduate math degree to get a graduate degree in economics’) is a bit excessive. I think that maybe you wouldn’t be fit for some programs, but I bet you’re a great candidate for others of equal merit.

I do thank you for not being rude in your responses, and thank you for being insightful. I wish you the best!  

Edited by Lmntry
Phone keyboard sucks