Undergrad: UC Berkeley, Honors Law & Economics/Public Policy
Undergrad GPA: 3.62
Graduate: Georgetown Economics
Grad GPA: 3.52
LOR: Thesis advisor, Department Chair, and CA State Senator
SOP: Orphan. Worked for the US Senate, US Congress, CA State Senate
Work Experience: 6 years in policy, two in research, started a non-profit

GRE: 160 Q/ 160V/ 4.0 AWA

Looking to apply to one-year MA Statistics program.
Any Advice? 

5 hours ago, marksheppard said:

Undergrad: UC Berkeley, Honors Law & Economics/Public Policy
Undergrad GPA: 3.62
Graduate: Georgetown Economics
Grad GPA: 3.52
LOR: Thesis advisor, Department Chair, and CA State Senator
SOP: Orphan. Worked for the US Senate, US Congress, CA State Senate
Work Experience: 6 years in policy, two in research, started a non-profit

GRE: 160 Q/ 160V/ 4.0 AWA

Looking to apply to one-year MA Statistics program.
Any Advice? 

Hello!

Your profile is certainly unique (which most grad schools like)! If you don't mind me asking, did you work for Senator Harris (I think she's awesome)?

Anyway, have you taken the required math courses to apply to Master's programs in stats, like calc 1-3? These are a must! I think your GRE scores are fine. Getting a LOR from someone who can talk about your math and stats skills would be very helpful for you (and for admissions committees). Are you looking to stay in CA or go to the east coast? What programs are you looking at? I would consider Berkeley, since you hopefully have some good connections there from undergrad. Any math/stats-oriented research experience or familiarity with R, Python, or any other programming languages? Was your thesis math/stats heavy? Why econ to stats?

9 hours ago, Robatum1030 said:

Hello!

Your profile is certainly unique (which most grad schools like)! If you don't mind me asking, did you work for Senator Harris (I think she's awesome)?

Anyway, have you taken the required math courses to apply to Master's programs in stats, like calc 1-3? These are a must! I think your GRE scores are fine. Getting a LOR from someone who can talk about your math and stats skills would be very helpful for you (and for admissions committees). Are you looking to stay in CA or go to the east coast? What programs are you looking at? I would consider Berkeley, since you hopefully have some good connections there from undergrad. Any math/stats-oriented research experience or familiarity with R, Python, or any other programming languages? Was your thesis math/stats heavy? Why econ to stats?

Feinstein.
I have Calculus 1 (A), have not completed Calculus 2, or Calculus 3 yet.

The programs I'm looking at are:
1. UC Berkeley
2. Cornell
3. Georgetown
4. Columbia

I have some experience in Stata and R. My plan is to do a Statistics MA, then apply to an Economics PhD.