Jump to content
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Purdue PULSe interview


Madhattress
 Share

Recommended Posts

So I would be doing a 20 minute Skype interview for the PULSe program at Purdue University. As this is an interview with a panel and not with a specific POI, I am curious about the questions that may be asked and how exactly should I be prepared for it! Is it also just to confirm my verbal capabilities as an international student or should I panic more about it? Does anyone also know about the acceptance rate post-interview? Thank you in advance :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hey! I interviewed with PULSe, and I would say to just be yourself and ask a lot of questions about the program and faculty research! The faculty are very friendly! Talk about your research experience as well! :) I don’t know about their post-interview acceptance rate, but on their website, it says they let in about 30 students on average? Anyway, good luck!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, katcz324 said:

Hey! I interviewed with PULSe, and I would say to just be yourself and ask a lot of questions about the program and faculty research! The faculty are very friendly! Talk about your research experience as well! :) I don’t know about their post-interview acceptance rate, but on their website, it says they let in about 30 students on average? Anyway, good luck!

Thanks. This is quite helpful. If you don't mind me asking, what year did you apply and were you accepted into the program?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/22/2019 at 12:51 PM, Madhattress said:

So I would be doing a 20 minute Skype interview for the PULSe program at Purdue University. As this is an interview with a panel and not with a specific POI, I am curious about the questions that may be asked and how exactly should I be prepared for it! Is it also just to confirm my verbal capabilities as an international student or should I panic more about it? Does anyone also know about the acceptance rate post-interview? Thank you in advance :)

hey... I also got the skype interview invite. I think they will ask general questions based on your research experience/research interest, so you can prepare by going through your CV and SOP (or any document which contains concept of the work you've done). Since it is with the admission panel, you should look up the research of faculty you mentioned in your SOP so that you can communicate their overarching goals when requested upon. Hopefully it will go well... All the best! PS i applied to the chem bio training group...  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, zerofiko said:

Thanks. This is quite helpful. If you don't mind me asking, what year did you apply and were you accepted into the program?

No problem! And actually, I’m applying for fall 2019 admission, so I’m not that sure about acceptance yet ? I’ll know in several weeks ?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, katcz324 said:

No problem! And actually, I’m applying for fall 2019 admission, so I’m not that sure about acceptance yet ? I’ll know in several weeks ?

Thanks... Hopefully it will work out and you will be accepted. It is a nice program! Good luck.. ?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/23/2019 at 1:40 AM, katcz324 said:

Hey! I interviewed with PULSe, and I would say to just be yourself and ask a lot of questions about the program and faculty research! The faculty are very friendly! Talk about your research experience as well! :) I don’t know about their post-interview acceptance rate, but on their website, it says they let in about 30 students on average? Anyway, good luck!

This is indeed helpful! I do have a bunch of questions, but I wasn't really sure as I didn't want to come across as arrogant, I guess I'll go for it then :) If you don't mind me asking, what training group did you interview for and did you speak to the POIs you mentioned? Also, was the entire panel from your training group or were they mixed?

Edited by Madhattress
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, zerofiko said:

hey... I also got the skype interview invite. I think they will ask general questions based on your research experience/research interest, so you can prepare by going through your CV and SOP (or any document which contains concept of the work you've done). Since it is with the admission panel, you should look up the research of faculty you mentioned in your SOP so that you can communicate their overarching goals when requested upon. Hopefully it will go well... All the best! PS i applied to the chem bio training group...  

Congrats on getting the invite! :D I will keep this in mind, and review my CV and SOP! I applied to the integrative neurosciences training group! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/24/2019 at 10:44 AM, Madhattress said:

This is indeed helpful! I do have a bunch of questions, but I wasn't really sure as I didn't want to come across as arrogant, I guess I'll go for it then :) If you don't mind me asking, what training group did you interview for and did you speak to the POIs you mentioned? Also, was the entire panel from your training group or were they mixed?

No problem! And sorry this is late ? I applied to integrative neuroscience and was able to speak with several POIs I mentioned. I didn’t do a panel interview, but had mostly individuals related to neuroscience in some way. Other applicants I saw said that they had mostly people similar to what training group they mentioned! With only one or two people from different fields who probably were on the admissions committee!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/28/2019 at 6:58 PM, katcz324 said:

No problem! And sorry this is late ? I applied to integrative neuroscience and was able to speak with several POIs I mentioned. I didn’t do a panel interview, but had mostly individuals related to neuroscience in some way. Other applicants I saw said that they had mostly people similar to what training group they mentioned! With only one or two people from different fields who probably were on the admissions committee!

Hey! I had the interview and at first, I thought it went good, but due to my nervousness I did talk about Parks and Rec is in the same state as the university for a good 2 minutes and I'm now afraid that the interview went bad after all. Did you hear anything from them? :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/11/2019 at 7:53 AM, Madhattress said:

Hey! I had the interview and at first, I thought it went good, but due to my nervousness I did talk about Parks and Rec is in the same state as the university for a good 2 minutes and I'm now afraid that the interview went bad after all. Did you hear anything from them? :)

Hey! I’m sure they understand! I actually was pretty nervous when I interviewed with them (I stutter a lot when I get nervous, so ended up repeating myself multiple times!) 

And yes! I interviewed with them their first week and heard from them about a week and a half later, but I’m not sure when their last interview week was! 

Good luck!!🍀 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/11/2019 at 5:53 AM, Madhattress said:

Hey! I had the interview and at first, I thought it went good, but due to my nervousness I did talk about Parks and Rec is in the same state as the university for a good 2 minutes and I'm now afraid that the interview went bad after all. Did you hear anything from them? :)

Hi, Sorry to bother, I am also an applicant for Pulse phd program and took the Skype interview on this round. If you don't mind me asking, did they say when are we able to hear back from them about the results? Thank you so much!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/13/2019 at 10:00 PM, katcz324 said:

Hey! I’m sure they understand! I actually was pretty nervous when I interviewed with them (I stutter a lot when I get nervous, so ended up repeating myself multiple times!) 

And yes! I interviewed with them their first week and heard from them about a week and a half later, but I’m not sure when their last interview week was! 

Good luck!!🍀 

I did stutter a lot too, but I would like to think that the interview went alright. Did you get an acceptance from them then? :)

Well, I interviewed on the 4th of this month, and I believe that the skype interviews went on till the 13th. They said that they would get back in a week and a half (same as your case), but it's been 2 weeks now and I haven't heard anything.  

Thank you :D

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/16/2019 at 12:01 AM, frank li said:

Hi, Sorry to bother, I am also an applicant for Pulse phd program and took the Skype interview on this round. If you don't mind me asking, did they say when are we able to hear back from them about the results? Thank you so much!

They told me I should hear back in a week and a half, but its been 2 weeks now and I haven't heard anything. If you do hear anything, please keep me posted? Fingers crossed for both of us :D

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/17/2019 at 6:12 AM, Madhattress said:

I did stutter a lot too, but I would like to think that the interview went alright. Did you get an acceptance from them then? :)

Well, I interviewed on the 4th of this month, and I believe that the skype interviews went on till the 13th. They said that they would get back in a week and a half (same as your case), but it's been 2 weeks now and I haven't heard anything.  

Thank you :D

Yes! I did! 

It’s only been a couple days since the 13th, so they could still be in the process of deciding! They might have a different technique for Skype interviews? 🤔 I know other schools appeared to wait for everyone to be finished before sending out admission acceptances!

 

Again, best of luck!!! 😊

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/17/2019 at 4:13 AM, Madhattress said:

They told me I should hear back in a week and a half, but its been 2 weeks now and I haven't heard anything. If you do hear anything, please keep me posted? Fingers crossed for both of us :D

haven't heard back from them either, Finger cross for both of us:)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/18/2019 at 7:10 PM, katcz324 said:

Yes! I did! 

It’s only been a couple days since the 13th, so they could still be in the process of deciding! They might have a different technique for Skype interviews? 🤔 I know other schools appeared to wait for everyone to be finished before sending out admission acceptances!

 

Again, best of luck!!! 😊

Can I please ask you what date they gave you to accept or decline their admission offer, I would then know when to expect a response from them. Maybe it will also help my anxiety! :D Thank you in advance!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/24/2019 at 2:50 AM, Madhattress said:

Can I please ask you what date they gave you to accept or decline their admission offer, I would then know when to expect a response from them. Maybe it will also help my anxiety! :D Thank you in advance!

The date is April 15th, which I guess is the national deadline in America for accepting or declining grad schools! 👍

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.