On Moneys for Internation Students

psm1580b

Hey all,

Good luck with everyone's applications and all that. I applied two years in a row and was finally accepted to start fall of '16. I wanted to offer some advice for those of you considering international schools: Be very certain of your financial situation and do not presume that there will be equivalent access to external funds (grants, scholarships, etc) during your time as an international student. Quite a few of the otherwise-available money is, in various forms, only allowed for current citizens or permanent residents. Quite a bit of the money you may qualify for in your home country must be used to find education in your home country. Take the time to think about what curveballs the next 4-6 years may through at you before you commit. 

-Just something to keep in mind. Sorry to add to your already considerable anxiety! 

15 hours ago, psm1580b said:

Hey all,

Good luck with everyone's applications and all that. I applied two years in a row and was finally accepted to start fall of '16. I wanted to offer some advice for those of you considering international schools: Be very certain of your financial situation and do not presume that there will be equivalent access to external funds (grants, scholarships, etc) during your time as an international student. Quite a few of the otherwise-available money is, in various forms, only allowed for current citizens or permanent residents. Quite a bit of the money you may qualify for in your home country must be used to find education in your home country. Take the time to think about what curveballs the next 4-6 years may through at you before you commit. 

-Just something to keep in mind. Sorry to add to your already considerable anxiety! 

Hi psm, thanks for the warning! Would it be all right to ask where you ended up/what experiences made you issue this warning? Happy to take it to PM if you prefer - I'm just very curious as an international applicant!