Does SAP reset as a graduate student?

fauxmystic

As an undergraduate, I became ineligible for federal aid due to maxing out my cumulative attempted credit hours (who knew starting college as a directionless 18 year old might be messy?) I'm thankful that my first graduate program acceptance letter came today, and that the program has offered full funding and stipend for the duration of my studies...but I will need to find a bit of extra aid to cover/refinance/push into deferment some higher interest debts that, while I can manage, will make my budget ultra-tight otherwise. My question is, does satisfactory academic progress (SAP - what the Fed uses to determine aid eligibility) reset as a graduate student/not carry over from undergrad?

• 2 weeks later...

Hey, another person who maxed out on credits! I did the same, myself. It was actually incredibly annoying, because when I started undergrad, they measured these things by time rather than credits. So you had to complete a 4 year degree in 6 in order to get financial aid. Strictly speaking, I did attend for more than 6, but not at the school I got my degree from and that's all that mattered. So I was in the clear until they changed the policy to be credit-based, which messed up my last year. But I found money. 

Anyway, to actually answer your question, the whole number of credits thing goes out the window when you go to graduate school. There is of course still a cap on the total amount of direct loans you can borrow, although there is also the PLUS loan, which I don't think has any limits but does require a somewhat decent credit history.