Data Science elite schools : what are my chances

masters_gmat

Hello All,

Kindly review my profile for MS in Data Science and please suggest me what are my chances for various schools listed at the end 

Currently, working as a Business Intelligence Engineer in New York on work visa, I am looking to either do a part time/online Data Science Masters degree or a FT program if I get into an elite school like Columbia.

Experience : 6 years of experience in BI, Data Engineering.
Previous Education CGPA : 3.36 , Bachelors of Technology in Electronics and Communication Engineering from one of the top 20 colleges in India
Intermediate Skills : SQL, R, Python, Tableau
Beginner skills: Java, Statistics, C++
GRE: 319 (166Q, 153 V?
TOEFL: 104

Colleges Applied/applying : Columbia University (MSDS), UC Berkeley (MIDS online), GA Tech (OMSA), Northwestern (MSDS Online), John Hopkins (Online MSDS), UMich (Online yet to launch MSDS)
Colleges applied last Summer/ Fall: UIUC (MCS-DS ) - Rejected Twice ? , GA Tech (OMSA) - rejected but encouraged to apply next year

I really would like to know what do you think my chances are for Berkeley and Columbia programs especially. Also, if you have any other school suggestion, please let me know. 

Thanks

4 hours ago, masters_gmat said:

Hello All,

Kindly review my profile for MS in Data Science and please suggest me what are my chances for various schools listed at the end 

Currently, working as a Business Intelligence Engineer in New York on work visa, I am looking to either do a part time/online Data Science Masters degree or a FT program if I get into an elite school like Columbia.

Experience : 6 years of experience in BI, Data Engineering.
Previous Education CGPA : 3.36 , Bachelors of Technology in Electronics and Communication Engineering from one of the top 20 colleges in India
Intermediate Skills : SQL, R, Python, Tableau
Beginner skills: Java, Statistics, C++
GRE: 319 (166Q, 153 V?
TOEFL: 104

Colleges Applied/applying : Columbia University (MSDS), UC Berkeley (MIDS online), GA Tech (OMSA), Northwestern (MSDS Online), John Hopkins (Online MSDS), UMich (Online yet to launch MSDS)
Colleges applied last Summer/ Fall: UIUC (MCS-DS ) - Rejected Twice ? , GA Tech (OMSA) - rejected but encouraged to apply next year

I really would like to know what do you think my chances are for Berkeley and Columbia programs especially. Also, if you have any other school suggestion, please let me know. 

Thanks

Your chances seem pretty solid. But why have you restricted yourself to "elite" schools? Is there a significant difference in the education you'll receive?

4 hours ago, Noegenesis said:

Your chances seem pretty solid. But why have you restricted yourself to "elite" schools? Is there a significant difference in the education you'll receive?

Thanks for your response. I was just wondering are my low verbal scores and my not so great cgpa going to affect my admission for Berkeley or Columbia?

The reasoning behind choosing elite programs is to increase my chances for working for FAANG or any major financial company as a data scientist. I believe if I get a degree from low rank college, I might end up doing the same kind of work as I'm doing currently. Also, I will lose a huge opportunity cost if I go for full time program and thus, I want to see better return on my investment. Hence, the rationale behind Elite colleges. Thanks 

Edit to answer your 2nd question: I believe the education will be more or less the same. Each program has different objectives but I found Columbia, Berkeley, John Hopkins to be the best ones among others. It's just the brand name and alumni network that will help a lot here.

Edited by masters_gmat
To answer 2nd question

3 hours ago, peanutjellyfish said:

I suggest programs at Cornell Tech and NYU, since you are already in New York. 

Thanks for your response. I have missed out on NYU deadline as my GRE was scheduled after that. With regards to Cornell Tech, is it the same as cornell university. I've heard mixed reviews- is it like Harvard X or something like that? Also, which course would you recommend from Cornell.

One more thing - I'm okay to move to a warmer place? if it's under top 20 like Columbia or provide good scholarship (huge opportunity cost for me to leave my 105k job). So, please suggest any other place as well if you have in mind. Thanks

18 minutes ago, masters_gmat said:

Thanks for your response. I have missed out on NYU deadline as my GRE was scheduled after that. With regards to Cornell Tech, is it the same as cornell university. I've heard mixed reviews- is it like Harvard X or something like that? Also, which course would you recommend from Cornell.

One more thing - I'm okay to move to a warmer place? if it's under top 20 like Columbia or provide good scholarship (huge opportunity cost for me to leave my 105k job). So, please suggest any other place as well if you have in mind. Thanks

I haven't heard much about the MS programs at Cornell Tech, but there are several listed on the webpage about it. 

Cornell University and Cornell Tech are essentially the same at the PhD-level, though, where students in both Computer Science and Information Science can be at either campus depending on where their advisor is. The professors at Cornell Tech tend to do work that have some sort of direct societal impact.