Any thoughts on the JHU SAIS MAGP executive program?

So I've searched the entirety of this site and have yet to find any details or thoughts about the Masters in Global Policy (MAGP) that Johns Hopkins SAIS offers, does anyone know anything about the reputation of this program?

I'm a working professional in DC and due to family commitments would really like to keep my current private sector job and not be a full-time student while finally pursuing the higher level international affairs degree that I've been seeking to for some time.

After some time, I’m finally getting around to deciding to pursue the Master’s I’ve wanted to as I wouldn’t mind opening more career options in due time, hence looking at different part time options. I'm eventually looking gradually for a career pivot into more economic policy type roles in DC and so curious if this degree would even help towards that. 

When comparing MAGP to the Master of International Public Policy (MIPP) which is a one year full time program, I notice the curriculum seems to be less quantitative though in nature, so is this program similar to other executive MPAs (thinking such as Columbia SIPA) that’s more of a rubberstamp of a Master’s degree credential within their org rather than for any sort of career boost externally or at any policy orgs? 

For what it's worth, even though the other grad programs have had employment results posted in the most recent 2017 SAIS employment outcomes survey, MAGP did not, any thoughts as to why this program would've been excluded?

My friend did this program. MIPP students take the same courses as the MA students; I think the salient difference is that it is one year vs two. MAGP is a completely separate program with a separate cohort that has if I recall 6 hour sessions every Saturday and lasts 1.5 years. The curriculum is the same for all MAGP students whereas MIPPs can choose whatever classes they want, so they can make their program of study more quantitative by choice.

In regards to career options, you're better off speaking to people in the departments/jobs you're interested in. There's economic policy people who need an economics PhD to do their job, there's economic policy people who are economists only in name and really are selling their business connections or somesuch, and there's a lot of space in between.

Thanks for your response. I have over 7 years of work experience and was trying moreso to compare MAGP to MIPP. The key is I don't want to stop working while pursuing my degree and hence trying to evaluate the merits of MAGP vs. MIPP where I would have to go on leave or stop working. 

Also helps too because my employer would also help pay for a small portion of the Master's which is also key considering these programs aren't exactly cheap if you don't have any other form of scholarships. 

Hi there - I actually applied to the MIPP program for fall 2019, and I got accepted in the early notification round.  I was seriously thinking about the MAGP program, but I already have an MPA in which part of the MAGP covers.  I figured the MIPP was the best for me then, also I want my weekends free (other then studying). 

As for me - I have an MPA with 13 years of professional experience (political, IT, DOD contracting).

Hope this helps. 

• 4 weeks later...

On 2/3/2019 at 3:23 PM, affairsindisorder said:

Thanks for your response. I have over 7 years of work experience and was trying moreso to compare MAGP to MIPP. The key is I don't want to stop working while pursuing my degree and hence trying to evaluate the merits of MAGP vs. MIPP where I would have to go on leave or stop working. 

Also helps too because my employer would also help pay for a small portion of the Master's which is also key considering these programs aren't exactly cheap if you don't have any other form of scholarships. 

Did you end up applying for the MAGP Program ?