University list suggestion

Karan_95

Question

Hello All,

Just need advice from you guys regarding my application. My profile is as follows - 

GRE - 312 (Q-162, V - 150, AWA - 3.5)

TOEFL - 98( L-25, R-22, S-26, W-25)

CGPA - 8.43/10 (undergrad from BITS Pilani Hyderabad) Majors in chemical, Minors in Materials Science.

Two International publications

First Generation student.

Trying for Ph.D. in Materials Science and I have applied to the following Universities - 

1. Rice University

2. University of Michigan Ann Arbor

3. Purdue University

4. University of Minnesota

5. Michigan State University

6. Texas A&M

7. North Carolina State University

8. Rennsalaer Polytechnic Institute

9. University of Delaware

10. UC Davis

Does the list seem to be balanced (ambitious, moderate and safe)? Also what chance do I stand coming from a chemical engineering background? I know I am pretty late but anxious about the admit results.

Edited by Karan_95

4 answers to this question

19 hours ago, Karan_95 said:

Hello All,

Just need advice from you guys regarding my application. My profile is as follows - 

CGPA - 8.43/10 (undergrad from BITS Pilani Hyderabad) Majors in chemical, Minors in Materials Science.

Trying for Ph.D. in Materials Science and I have applied to the following Universities - 

1. Rice University

3. Purdue University

6. Texas A&M

10. UC Davis

Does the list seem to be balanced (ambitious, moderate and safe)? Also what chance do I stand coming from a chemical engineering background? I know I am pretty late but anxious about the admit results.

The list seems balanced (provided that you're a fit with the faculty at each respective school), and your chances are good. How are your LORs?

On 2/4/2019 at 11:56 AM, Karan_95 said:

Hello All,

1. Rice University

3. Purdue University

6. Texas A&M

10. UC Davis

I think the schools you applied to are a good combination. Also, I think having a chemical engineering background doesn't lower your chances of getting into materials science and engineering programs. As you probably know, materials science relies heavily on chemistry, so having that background in chemistry is good and you will provide these programs with a interesting perspective. Also, I think your application profile is great! I understand the anxiety of waiting on results, though. I also applied to University of Delaware in materials science and engineering as well! Good luck! Also, check out other 2019 MSE applicants here:

On 2/5/2019 at 8:42 PM, Noegenesis said:

The list seems balanced (provided that you're a fit with the faculty at each respective school), and your chances are good. How are your LORs?

I have two LORS from my university Professors and one LOR from my mentor at Unilever R&D centre.

22 hours ago, Moods said:

I think the schools you applied to are a good combination. Also, I think having a chemical engineering background doesn't lower your chances of getting into materials science and engineering programs. As you probably know, materials science relies heavily on chemistry, so having that background in chemistry is good and you will provide these programs with a interesting perspective. Also, I think your application profile is great! I understand the anxiety of waiting on results, though. I also applied to University of Delaware in materials science and engineering as well! Good luck! Also, check out other 2019 MSE applicants here:

Thank you for your opinion. It greatly helps to reduce the anxiety when you have some assurance from others. Good luck to you as well. Hope that we both get into the desired universities.