What are the programs looking for in an applicant?

charliekkk

Hello Gradcafe fellows,

One of my closest friends is applying for MA/PhD programs in cultural anthropology, and we've both found it very opaque as to what in the world is the admission committee looking for in an applicant, given that 1) this discipline is relatively new and the norms are more fluid than other older disciplines, 2) method is predominantly inductive thus it's harder to gauge one's capacities, 3) and many other reasons beyond my grasp. Professors at our school aren't helpful since they tend to tell us only the positive things, and I did some research and didn't find a thread specifically devoted to this topic. So I'm wondering what are some of your thoughts/past experience about it -- thank you in advance!!!

Some specific questions we have:

• Writing sample: how would you describe the standards/features of a good/bad sample? It'd be immensely appreciated if people with good application results in the past would like to share with us your samples or their topics!!
  • Fieldwork experience vs. analytical reasoning: which would you say is valued more highly, substantial fieldwork or strong abstract theorization?
  • Interdisciplinary background: is it good or bad to have some knowledge in other disciplines and/or discuss interdisciplinary interests in one's SOP and sample?
  • Fit: how important is it to have a good fit with the department and faculty?

These are our main concerns right now (with the sample being the biggest one), but people who have other questions are welcomed to bring them up!

EDIT: Since all applications are already submitted, I guess we're not looking for advice as to how to make a stronger application -- but similar. We're trying to get a sense of the general shape of a strong applicant and compare it with ourselves, so that we can be more informed and prepared and able to better understand why X school makes Y decision.

Edited by charliekkk

4 hours ago, charliekkk said:

Hello Gradcafe fellows,

One of my closest friends is applying for MA/PhD programs in cultural anthropology, and we've both found it very opaque as to what in the world is the admission committee looking for in an applicant, given that 1) this discipline is relatively new and the norms are more fluid than other older disciplines, 2) method is predominantly inductive thus it's harder to gauge one's capacities, 3) and many other reasons beyond my grasp. Professors at our school aren't helpful since they tend to tell us only the positive things, and I did some research and didn't find a thread specifically devoted to this topic. So I'm wondering what are some of your thoughts/past experience about it -- thank you in advance!!!

Some specific questions we have:

• Writing sample: how would you describe the standards/features of a good/bad sample? It'd be immensely appreciated if people with good application results in the past would like to share with us your samples or their topics!!
  • Fieldwork experience vs. analytical reasoning: which would you say is valued more highly, substantial fieldwork or strong abstract theorization?
  • Interdisciplinary background: is it good or bad to have some knowledge in other disciplines and/or discuss interdisciplinary interests in one's SOP and sample?
  • Fit: how important is it to have a good fit with the department and faculty?

These are our main concerns right now (with the sample being the biggest one), but people who have other questions are welcomed to bring them up!

EDIT: Since all applications are already submitted, I guess we're not looking for advice as to how to make a stronger application -- but similar. We're trying to get a sense of the general shape of a strong applicant and compare it with ourselves, so that we can be more informed and prepared and able to better understand why X school makes Y decision.

I'm not sure quite how helpful I can be, as an applicant on the same side as you, but I am in my first cycle now, and miraculously someone decided to accept me. I'm happy to share my process/experience thus far, because I know I relied on tons of people through the process, and I would love to help someone if I can.

Not only is the discipline relatively new, but my niche of anthropology, anthrozoology, is even newer. So, I had a limited pool of programs that included that sub-discipline even tangentially. I think a big help for me is that I'm currently enrolled getting an MS in anthrozoology, and I had a strong LOR from a leading anthropologist in my field, who was one of my professors in that program.

I submitted different writing samples to different programs depending on what I emphasized in my SOP for that program/POI. Also, different page length requirements affected that a bit, some programs had strict maximums and others did not. I used samples that got me an "A" in my master's program and that had been accepted for presentation, so I knew they were halfway decent and had had a few sets of eyes on them. I think that boosted my confidence (what little I had) and lent some credibility to them. I also mentioned conference presentations in my SOP, so being able to then provide that writing sample was helpful, I hope?

"Is it good or bad to have some knowledge in other disciplines and/or discuss interdisciplinary interests in one's SOP and sample?"

I think it's good! My BA is in linguistics, and in my SOP I explained how, in my master's coursework, I infuse sociolinguistic elements into my research/analysis. Instead of my BA looking irrelevant, I explained why it was actually very relevant.

Fit

From all I've read on this forum, blogs, etc. (and, uh, it's a lot) I think fit is the most important. This may be a relief, or it may be frustrating to you--but fit is where we lose control of the process. For me this is refreshing, in a way, because as long as I did everything I could, and was honest and my best self in my application...what will happen will happen. Waiting is agony, that does not change. But one of my strategies for coping is putting things behind me once I cannot change them, but allowing myself to learn from them.

One thing you didn't specifically list is SOP, maybe because you already feel good on it, but I think the SOP is super important. I imagine many writing samples go unread (especially if 200 people submit 25 page papers!), but I could be entirely wrong. Maybe writing samples only get read at a certain stage, maybe as a tiebreaker, or if a committee is on the fence? Maybe they just scan the abstract and want to see a person is capable of writing an academic paper (especially if coming straight from undergrad). Again, I'm fortunate that my master's program has me writing 30-40 page papers and a thesis, so I think that experience helped bolster myself as a suitable PhD student.

Anyway, hope this is somehow helpful, and good luck.

@pyramidstuds Congratulations on your success! And thank you so much for your input. I looked up anthrozoology and it seems dope. Could you share with me some of your fav authors/theories in the field?

It's indeed very helpful to know the strength of one's sample via conference presentations. Alas, my friend and I are from a hippie SLAC where people don't even talk about anything related to the professional world lol. Now, in retrospect, what would you say make your sample stand out, if you'd be so kind to share it with us? Like creative approach, solid theories, lots of fieldwork, etc.? And you're absolutely right about my mistakenly leaving out SOP haha (I'm from philosophy where sample is weighed much more than SOP). Given my friend's background and strength, I really hope adcoms read samples though...

@charliekkk sorry for the delay, the week got away from me. My interests have evolved a bit throughout my study thus far, so let me just tell you the first authors who pop into my head at the moment: Annie Potts, Jamie Lorimer, Marcus Baynes-Rock. 

I love multispecies ethnography, but I haven't done any work of my own in that yet--Baynes-Rock's book on hyenas in Harar is an awesome example of something I'd hope to someday emulate. And a new theory I've just recently begun exploring is necropolitics as it pertains to nonhuman animals (new paper: https://aag.secure-abstracts.com/AAG Annual Meeting 2018/abstracts-gallery/11239). My research and views are generally ecocentric, tempered with the reality of wildlife conservation being an increasingly competitive space.

Hmm, I guess my sample is on a topic that's current and also showed my abilities in other disciplines (namely linguistics). There wasn't fieldwork, it was a term paper for a class and that didn't allow me a ton of time for fieldwork. I did conduct three interviews. It was mostly a content analysis, ultimately.

@charliekkk 

I am a bioanth student some of my experiences may not apply but I have had a little success. This is also my first application cycle. I don't know that I can speak exactly to what an admissions committee wants. I have some thoughts based on my adviser's guidance and feedback I have received from POIs. 

I personally felt like my writing sample was really weak. The data was good, the concept was good but I did not allow myself enough time to polish it properly. I think the fact that I collected a lot of data and spent a lot of time preparing materials helped. 

I have a bit of field experience. I have a lot of lab based experience. I think this is going to vary the most depending on your concentration and individual interests. My experience shows that I can spent ridiculous amounts of time in a lab setting collecting, organizing or analyzing data. I do not know if one is necessarily better than the other but rather shows a different side of your potential.

I discussed my experience in employment, internships and classes outside of anthro. I found this to be a plus and something that POIs asked about.

I would say fit is probably the most important thing. I reached out to POIs early had multiple interactions beyond email with most of them.

?

@charliekkk  Hey, I'm also bioanth (sorry!) but I'd like to reinforce what you've heard so far; i.e. that "holistic strength crowned with fit is the way to go." 

From what I've seen, any experience you can get that can go beyond the typical "did well in class" situation will put you miles ahead. It shows that you have dedication and have started the process of figuring out what kind of work you're comfortable doing. I know some people adore being in the field and others want a more mixed experience, etc. Of course, this can also be a financial burden since anthro isn't exactly known for paid internships...

But that's just one piece of the puzzle. I think that the writing sample, even if it's not perfect, can highlight different aspects of your education. Mine was styled after a Leakey Grant proposal, so even if it was a bit naive in the scope of its research (seriously, I think I included enough to last someone a lifetime of data collection), it showed off skills in grant writing. It can do a lot to show how well you can synthesize existing research or your precise involvement in a project, especially since you don't always get a lot of space in the SOP to elaborate.

As for interdisciplinary approaches, it's my personal belief this can only enhance your work, but everything will ultimately depend on fit. You can be a great student, and they can really want you, but if there isn't someone in the department that feels like you would be a good fit within their research, you probably won't be accepted. Happened to me last year ?

• 3 weeks later...

The program I received an offer from said that while my geographic area differed from the department's specializations my MA in the relevant area studies program and extremely strong letters of recommendation were the deciding factor. Had I not had an MA they would have not made the offer given my regional interests.

a couple of things:

1. This field is not really that new, and the standards re: methods are not really that fluid. Sociocultural has been floating around since the 1800s (the first PhD program was established in 1899, I believe) and draws on authors from the Enlightenment and beyond. Considering how many new PhD programs are added to universities across the world every year, I think of sociocultural anthropology as old school at this point. There are of course, new subfields cropping up all the time (as someone above mentioned).  I would suggest reading up a bit more on these to see what interests you before  before considering the rest.

2. Your writing sample should be a conference paper (or the equivalent) that shows both your theoretical reasoning and your application to fieldwork. People of course get admitted without conference papers all the time--for example, an undergraduate research paper will also do. The point is, your ability to demonstrate both are equally important. 

4. Fit. Is. Everything. If you want to talk about interdisciplinary experiences and goals in your statement, then you have to look for programs that support it. Specifically, find faculty that do the work you are interested in and email them about your research interests. Set up a time to talk. See if this is really for you.

Good luck.

@charliekkk

So this is a super late response, but I felt like adding some more input. I am in archaeology (so tangentially related)but I felt that fit was the most crucial component. I applied to 2 schools and got in to 1, approaching it as an exploratory year hoping for an acceptance. I got in touch with 3-4 professors from various schools a year before applying and gave them a run down of my interests, background, and current work. I took two years off to work after undergrad and wanted to make sure that the fact I had taken time to consider my specific interests and fit was noted. My undergraduate advisor recommended taking some time before returning to graduate school and I think it was good advice.

A common theme in the feedback I received from early communication was about my background, which is rather interdisciplinary consisting of lived practical experience and a broad liberal arts education. They seemed very interested in my specific background experience, but I think that is more a result of my subfield of interests. Further, a lot of the professors referenced each other as potential PIs/schools to consider and it gave me some insight into the relationships within the field. I felt confident when applying to the school I was accepted by of my fit with faculty, and the program at large. 

Regarding writing samples, I provided two writing samples, one was an upper level undergraduate paper and the other a modified undergraduate honors thesis. They clearly showed my writing style, analytical ability, and illustrated my interest in combining lines of thought (even if they didn't address the themes I am hoping to pursue in the PhD). In my SOP I also discussed some of my interdisciplinary interests, but it was more straightforward regarding potential research and highlighted my fit with the department. I felt confident doing so because I had been in touch with potential PIs and they knew of my interests, and I wanted to make sure I was presenting myself accurately. I did not want to submit something that is not representative of my interests, or theories I'd not be willing to work on for 5+ years. I think the SOP in conjunction with my resume provided a good picture of what I have done and what I want to do, really complimenting each other.

Hope this is helpful, and lmk if you have any questions!