UCSC History of Consciousness 2019

charliekkk

Anyone else applied this year?

I’ve heard all kinds of rumors about them (mostly negative, like they won’t exist for long etc.). Does anyone have some kind of inside knowledge about what’s really going on? (The lack of funding is pretty much confirmed) Their amazing history aside, is it now a bad idea to apply/attend that program?

Edited by charliekkk

@charliekkk From what I've heard and read, they only accept 0-3 students per year, and funding is not a guarantee, and you will be competing for jobs with grads from Lit and philosophy departments. From my understanding, it would be better to apply to either the PhD in philosophy or in literature, since both would allow you to take courses (up to four or five maybe) within the HOC program, plus you will still have some access to that departments faculty. From those I've spoken with who have recently graduated from the lit. program, they were able to secure funding for all the years, though they had to apply for external funding in the last 2 or 3 years.

@j.alicea Thanks!! In hindsight, it does seem to be an ideal solution to apply to Lit or Phil, get the money, and take classes in Hist-Con. Alas, I applied to Hist-Con without a clear sense of their financial predicament and now I'm accepted with zero funding... I think I'll visit the campus and, if nothing miraculous happens, I'll simply have to decline the offer... so heartbroken, though.