PhD Interview Attire

vam1390

So, I have an interview for a PhD program, and they normally do it as a 15 min Skype session. Because I am nearby the campus, they opted to schedule it in person instead. What would you typically wear in this instance? I haven't heard back from admissions regarding attire (and likely won't before my interview). It's for Political Science. 

I was thinking a pair of nice black pants, flats, and a button up.

I'd wager it really depends on the culture.

I just had an interview at a geology school in Texas. I wore khaki jeans, a nice pair of cowboy boots, and a button down. I frankly think I may have over dressed given that one of the professors greeted me in a T-shirt and jorts. All of the other professors had on blue jeans. 

Again, though, it really depends on the culture of the school and the department/major. I was a political science major for a while and the poly-sci professors I had were always dressed more formally than my geology professors.

22 hours ago, vam1390 said:

pair of nice black pants, flats, and a button up

The outfit you described  would probably be good, though. A suit or something similar would probably be a little too much. Good luck!

Edited by williamt9494