Tulane Ecology and Evolutionary Biology (EEB) 2019

Imalthica

45 minutes ago, LizardLove said:

I applied to the Tulane EEB program.  I will be attending the recruitment weekend Feb 14-17th.  Since they still have to conduct interviews, no one will know if they've been accepted until the end of the month.

I suppose so. According to my POI, they'll accept "most" of the invitees to the recruitment weekend, wait to see, and then circle back around for the waitlist. I'm just really, really hopeful though, since I was rejected to anthropology. Plus my partner is also trying to get into Tulane linguistics, so I'm just really hoping that everything works out...

On 2/15/2019 at 2:32 AM, mavieenrose8 said:

Hi, I applied at the January 15th deadline, and my application still says submitted. I haven’t heard anything else yet. Should I contact the department to check on my application or just wait it out? 

Well, this weekend is EEB's student recruitment event, where they try to solicit their top picks. They haven't actually technically accepted anyone yet though, since the first wave of decisions are still being finalized. I don't know about rejections, but if you haven't been notified yet, there's a good chance you've been waitlisted. I know that I am because my POI told me, after I let her know about my anthropology rejection. I don't know how much you've talked with your POI(s), but if anyone knows, it's likely them. I'd wait until March though, since they're definitely making progress right now. If you haven't heard back, then maybe call the department? If still nothing, then maybe email your POI...

On 2/8/2019 at 1:28 PM, LizardLove said:

I applied to the Tulane EEB program.  I will be attending the recruitment weekend Feb 14-17th.  Since they still have to conduct interviews, no one will know if they've been accepted until the end of the month.

Just out of curiosity, how did the recruitment event go? I'm just wondering what they had y'all doing...

It went well! The department is really friendly. But there’s only enough funding for 5-6 students total in the department so faculty who had hoped for students may get none. New faculty will be given priority but they will be capped at less than what they originally intended.  I hope this information helps.

12 hours ago, LizardLove said:

It went well! The department is really friendly. But there’s only enough funding for 5-6 students total in the department so faculty who had hoped for students may get none. New faculty will be given priority but they will be capped at less than what they originally intended.  I hope this information helps.

Yes it does, thanks! My POI said she was looking for 2 PhD students (and that I was waitlisted at number 6 for those two spots), but I don't know if she qualifies as "new" (been there since 2016). I emailed both her, my hopeful co-adviser in anthropology (still wants to mentor me, despite me being rejected from anthropology), and the graduate coordinator about my fervent intent to stay on the waitlist, and my continued interest in the program, so hopefully it all works out! This is soooooo stressful!

I was accepted, and it's my first acceptance of the four programs I applied to.  I have a visit to another program coming up in early March, so currently I am unsure whether I will attend, but the fit is excellent for me and I would be incredibly happy in the program.

Edited by LizardLove

52 minutes ago, LizardLove said:

I was accepted, and it's my first acceptance of the four programs I applied to.  I have a visit to another program coming up in early March, so currently I am unsure whether I will attend, but the fit is excellent for me and I would be incredibly happy in the program.

Congrats! I hope it works out for you, whatever you end up deciding on! Just out of curiosity, what's your specialty? I'm one of those weirdo plant (also fungal) ecology people. Just wondering, since I don't often meet those types...

Thanks! I hope things work out for you too :) I’m interested in ecophysiology and how climate change will impact organisms and their ability to adapt.  Tulane is a great school for plant ecology. There’s several professors doing plant (and fungal) research, and I met many graduate students and prospective students who work on plants

Well, even if I don't get in this year, come the fall I'll be in New Orleans! My partner got into Tulane linguistics, so if I don't get into EEB this year, I'll reapply again next year! If you end up going to Tulane, I'll see you around!

9 hours ago, LizardLove said:

Congrats to your partner! If you don't get in this cycle, check with both departments and see if they will hire you as a lab tech.  There were a few prospective grad students who are currently lab techs and I'm sure it gave them a leg up on their application.

Thanks! That's great to know that there are people actively doing that! I've contacted both POIs in EEB and anthropology about that sort of possibility, should I be unable to get in this cycle! Do you happen to know if their "lab tech" positions are paid? Regardless, I'm hoping it all works out one way or another, but at least I've definitely got my foot in the door. Plus, if I can pull off the NSF-GRFP this year, that'll probably boost my chances too, since funding is *magical*!

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone heard anything more at this point, or made any decisions? I'm still waiting to hear back about EEB decisions, and am waiting until April 4th-6th to hear back about the NSF-GRFP. I'll probably contact Tulane if I haven't heard back from them after I hear about my NSF-GRFP decision. Still hoping!

On 3/19/2019 at 4:09 PM, LizardLove said:

I've been weighing my options, but I will more than likely take the offer from Tulane.

That would be awesome, especially if I make it in too this time around! We could be cohort buddies! Might I ask what lab you're looking at, since you mentioned ecophysiology and climate change? My POI in EEB is Dr. Farrer, hence the plant ecology interests. Ideally, I would have two advisers, her and Dr. Balee from anthropology.

Off-Topic: Hey guys! I am looking for a female roommate/housemate to sublease a house/apartment starting from mid-August. I was accepted to PhD Program in Chemical Engineering at TU.  I'm 25 and will finish MSc in Washington DC this May. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/24/2019 at 2:40 AM, dinarka said:

Off-Topic: Hey guys! I am looking for a female roommate/housemate to sublease a house/apartment starting from mid-August. I was accepted to PhD Program in Chemical Engineering at TU.  I'm 25 and will finish MSc in Washington DC this May. 

When did you get accepted? I applied for the same program but haven't heard anything back :(