McGill Sociology PhD F2019?

RipCityBaby

Did anyone apply to this program? I haven't seen it mentioned much in the past and am curious why that is. Its a top school in Canada, are people just not interested in moving to Montreal or is there some problem with the school? 

3 hours ago, RipCityBaby said:

Did anyone apply to this program? I haven't seen it mentioned much in the past and am curious why that is. Its a top school in Canada, are people just not interested in moving to Montreal or is there some problem with the school? 

No problem with the school! I think Canadian schools are (wrongly) not on the radars of a lot of American applicants -- I know speaking for myself I thought most / all international schools wouldn't have full funding available, so when I found out some did I was deciding very closely between McGill & Toronto and chose Toronto for area match. Good luck with your applications!

3 hours ago, pistachiomacaron said:

No problem with the school! I think Canadian schools are (wrongly) not on the radars of a lot of American applicants -- I know speaking for myself I thought most / all international schools wouldn't have full funding available, so when I found out some did I was deciding very closely between McGill & Toronto and chose Toronto for area match. Good luck with your applications!

Thank you! Here's hoping a lack of international (American student) competition helps me. I've already been accepted to a Crim program at Simon Fraser in Vancouver, but Montreal is so appealing. Plus funding will be better at McGill. I'm also excited to work with one of the professors at McGill who does research I'm interested in.

Good luck with your applications too!

I saw someone posted a waitlist result. Any idea if they have already sent out acceptances? Past years, and the website, show the first round goes out mid March?

• 2 weeks later...

Applied as a Canadian (Quebec resident), have not heard anything yet. I would think we would see something if there had been acceptances, their dates do seem to jump around a bit. Hoping to get in as I also have them adjudicating my Quebec gov't research funding application!

On 2/19/2019 at 1:17 PM, FST said:

Applied as a Canadian (Quebec resident), have not heard anything yet. I would think we would see something if there had been acceptances, their dates do seem to jump around a bit. Hoping to get in as I also have them adjudicating my Quebec gov't research funding application!

Good luck! Keep me updated if you hear anything.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone hear anything yet? This is the last school I have to hear from and I'm getting anxious about making my choice without knowing one way or another about McGill...

I'm in the same boat! I was thinking of emailing the grad coordinator as I have an acceptance which wants my decision by March 15, but I may just ask them for an extension. Hopefully we will hear something soon. 

10 hours ago, Heidegger's Black Dress said:

I e-mailed them. Their first round of acceptances went out and they anticipate sending another round at the end of March or shortly thereafter. 

Thanks for the info! I have no idea if I really stand a chance as I'm not coming from sociology (I'm a criminology person). I have three other offers I am currently deciding between and a funded McGill offer would likely win over the others, but the deadline is rapidly approaching for a decision from my other schools!