New SAIS (Hopkins) - DIA Program

bness2002

Anyone from SAIS know anything about the new doctorate program that was announced last week?  They have an info session later on this week, but I am unable to attend.  I applied to the MIPP program for fall 2019 (notified late Dec 2018).  The DIA program includes obtaining your MIPP as part of the program.  Thanks.

https://www.sais-jhu.edu/content/academics#doctor-international-affairs-dia

Edited by bness2002

On 2/11/2019 at 4:39 AM, bness2002 said:

Anyone from SAIS know anything about the new doctorate program that was announced last week?  They have an info session later on this week, but I am unable to attend.  I applied to the MIPP program for fall 2019 (notified late Dec 2018).  The DIA program includes obtaining your MIPP as part of the program.  Thanks.

https://www.sais-jhu.edu/content/academics#doctor-international-affairs-dia

Hi, I too applied (MIPP) on the final deadline of 1st Feb, have not heard yet. What about you? Did you go through the interview?

Edited by Strider1

21 hours ago, Strider1 said:

Hi, I too applied (MIPP) on the final deadline of 1st Feb, have not heard yet. What about you? Did you go through the interview?

Hi there - I applied in the early notification round and got accepted in late Dec 2018.  I had my interview in early November 2018.

Have you been interviewed yet ?

5 hours ago, bness2002 said:

Hi there - I applied in the early notification round and got accepted in late Dec 2018.  I had my interview in early November 2018.

Have you been interviewed yet ?

That's awesome, congratulations!! In my case I applied on the last day of the final deadline and haven't heard back yet. Btw, did you receive your interview notification (via email?) within 10 days of your application submission, as the MIPP brochure says? And the interviewers were alumni or the faculty or both? Thank you.

Edited by Strider1

20 hours ago, Strider1 said:

That's awesome, congratulations!! In my case I applied on the last day of the final deadline and haven't heard back yet. Btw, did you receive your interview notification (via email?) within 10 days of your application submission, as the MIPP brochure says? And the interviewers were alumni or the faculty or both? Thank you.

Thanks. - I turned in all my stuff by mid-Oct, and they set-up a time (through email) a few days later to do the interview in person.  

3 hours ago, bness2002 said:

Thanks. - I turned in all my stuff by mid-Oct, and they set-up a time (through email) a few days later to do the interview in person.  

Perfect!

I emailed them and was told that they will be interviewing me shortly.

I guess you too would have been interviewed by a current MIPP student?

And how was your interview overall and any specific questions you can recall? Thanks.

On 2/14/2019 at 1:14 AM, Strider1 said:

Perfect!

I emailed them and was told that they will be interviewing me shortly.

I guess you too would have been interviewed by a current MIPP student?

And how was your interview overall and any specific questions you can recall? Thanks.

Okay great - I was interviewed by a current MIPP student.

I heard from a friend who went to their info session. To phrase it, it's a hybrid of traditional Executive MA and a traditional Doctorate.

It is not geared for those seeking academia.

Those with previous SAIS degrees can finish it in 2 years.

It's not a PhD though so I wouldn't think of it as a PhD.

53 minutes ago, AGReyes said:

I heard from a friend who went to their info session. To phrase it, it's a hybrid of traditional Executive MA and a traditional Doctorate.

It is not geared for those seeking academia.

Those with previous SAIS degrees can finish it in 2 years.

It's not a PhD though so I wouldn't think of it as a PhD.

Thanks for the info.  I figured the Doctorate was geared more towards working professionals and experts. 

Did they say if they are offering it for each spring and fall admissions?

Mickey mouse nonsense to put it mildly. The first year's coursework is identical to their MPP program and the 2nd (and final for those with an MA) year is part-time, off-campus. That doesn't add up to a doctorate by anybody's definition. This is another cash grab that will accelerate the dilution of the once-proud SAIS brand. 

On 2/19/2019 at 6:21 PM, went_away said:

Mickey mouse nonsense to put it mildly. The first year's coursework is identical to their MPP program and the 2nd (and final for those with an MA) year is part-time, off-campus. That doesn't add up to a doctorate by anybody's definition. This is another cash grab that will accelerate the dilution of the once-proud SAIS brand. 

"Mickey mouse nonsense to put it mildly."

I would point out most Doctorate programs require you take some of the same graduate courses as required for a MA / MIPP / MPP (core classes at least).  Doing the traditional route (especially with the MA and Doc and doing two different university programs at different locations), you would take some of courses twice, wasting time.  This new process eliminates taking the courses twice and get folks back in the traditional workforce.  The new model represents the new work and life balance (benefits, leave, education, etc.) that companies are starting to use to keep up with the workforce and not have the individual from being gone from the work place position for not too long.  The company or federal department does not want a person to be go gone for 3-5 years from their positions, especially if they are pay 100% of it plus salary. 

Edited by bness2002
na

• 1 year later...