Considered for M.S. instead of PhD?

LucilleBluth

I spoke to my POI over the summer about applying to the PhD program and she told me that if I get rejected from the PhD I could possibly still be considered for the M.S. program. I applied December 1st and I haven’t heard anything back at all... the deadline for M.S. applicants is February 15th. Do you think they could be waiting to weigh my application against the M.S. applicants? In other words do you think I still have a shot or are things looking bleak at this point?

8 minutes ago, LucilleBluth said:

I spoke to my POI over the summer about applying to the PhD program and she told me that if I get rejected from the PhD I could possibly still be considered for the M.S. program. I applied December 1st and I haven’t heard anything back at all... the deadline for M.S. applicants is February 15th. Do you think they could be waiting to weigh my application against the M.S. applicants? In other words do you think I still have a shot or are things looking bleak at this point?

As long as you haven't received official notice, you still have a shot for both the M.S. and PhD program. You can check the results section of this site to see if other people have already been admitted/rejected, or you can email the school directly for a decision timeline.

11 hours ago, LucilleBluth said:

Do not reapply for the masters program.  Most universities automatically consider PhD applications for Masters programs.  If their application date is Feb 15, you probably won't hear anything about the Masters until mid March.  So bite your lip and wait it out.  Not much else you can do.