University of Toronto MIRHR 2019 Forum

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, 76th said:

Goodluck all.

I'm currently a student in the MIRHR, 1 year stream.

I know the stress because last year id browse these forumns a lot haha.

Feel free to ask any questions about the program :)

Hey, do u happen to know wht the gpa cut off was last year? 

Edited by Abby98

22 hours ago, 76th said:

Goodluck all.

Thank you for offering to help relieve some of our anxiety!

Do you know when we can expect to hear back from the admissions committee?

On 3/12/2019 at 10:20 PM, Pacer12 said:

When do they start sending admission offers for MIRHR (2-year stream)?

They usually give offers between March-April. A few beforehand for top top students that applied. They just finished with their PhD's i believe.

On 3/13/2019 at 12:48 AM, Shayna11 said:

Hey, do u happen to know wht the gpa cut off was last year? 

Cutoff is a 3.3 which is a B+ avg in your last 2 years. That being said, you likely won't get in with a 3.3 avg. Most students in here had straight As with a few B+s if any. - This is what iv been exposed to, so it's purely anecdotal and don't take my word.

On 3/13/2019 at 4:01 PM, zahidus said:

Thank you for offering to help relieve some of our anxiety!

Do you know when we can expect to hear back from the admissions committee?

Last year a lot of people got theirs in April, so I wouldn't worry too much. I got mine in April ; and it was stressful waiting!

Hi successful candidates, 

Since so many of you received acceptances - congratulations by the way - I’d love to hear of how your experience is at UofT’s MIRHR program so far! 

I’ve  been accepted to Queens MIR but I have my heart set on UofT, although many people are emphasizing Queen’s to be a great choice. 

What do you love about the program? How is their network? For instance, I know the U ofT masters of public policy program has a great network with the Ontario Public Service and many of the cohort get internships and jobs after with OPS. Any insight into the MIRHR network? 

Thanks so much in advance! Hope it’s going well for everyone. 

9 hours ago, Pacer12 said:

Congratulations on your success at Queen's MIR! Can you apprise your gpa and experience? Also if you are an international candidate? Thanks !

Thanks!

I had a 4.0/4.0 GPA from my post-degree certificate in HRM, but my undergraduate GPA was less impressive, at 3.25 (I wasn’t as committed back then...)

I’m a domestic student with a couple years working experience, but not directly in HR.

I hope to get into UofT, and if so I believe it will still be a hard decision between the MIR and MIRHR. Thoughts/opinions on the two programs are welcomed! 

Edited by Hopefulgrad20
Grammar

On 3/12/2019 at 5:01 PM, 76th said:

Goodluck all.

Hey,

How are you liking the program overall?

How do you predict the job prospects to be following this program?

What is the network like in the MIRHR program? Does the program have any particular connection to the public sector or any private orgs? 

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/12/2019 at 2:01 PM, 76th said:

Goodluck all.

Hey 76th, how have you found the workload of the one year program? I've been admitted to that one but 5 courses in the first semester seems tough.

On 4/4/2019 at 12:46 AM, Hopefulgrad20 said:

Hey everyone! I got an offer for the MIRHR advanced standing from UofT! I’m sure you’ll each hear back soon too. 

Hard choice for me between UofToronto and Queen’s. Anyone know what school they’re leaning towards, and why? 

Hey! I've been accepted into both UofT's MIRHR advanced standing option and Queen's MIR as well. 

Ultimately, I decided to go to Toronto for several factors. First is fairly personal, but I'm from Hamilton and did my undergrad at McMaster, so it's a lot closer to home (as well as some pressure from my parents). Secondly, from what I've heard Toronto's program has a lot more faculty and resources towards both the HR and union side of things. Queen's apparently is more focused on the IR rather than HR (although HR is included). Additionally, Toronto is the #1 ranked school in Canada and it's hard to decline that. 

However, if you didn't get an advanced standing option it might just be worth it to go to Queen's since it's only a year. Factors I took into consideration as well, was how Toronto seems to be very cut throat (although since this is a graduate program, I think we've all deemed ourselves to be hard workers). Additionally, Toronto seems to be a bit confusing, with the campus being integrated into the Downtown of the city. 

Either choice seems to be a good option. Both seem to provide good networking opportunities in the public and private sector. 

I'm only concerned I might not finish with the conditions they set on me, however, I've been working hard to make sure I don't fall behind. I've heard Queen's is a little bit more lenient on their conditions, so I haven't completely cut them out of the picture yet.