University of Toronto MIRHR 2019 Forum

6 hours ago, SwathiBala said:

Hello Everyone! Anybody received decisions from the admission committee for the 2-year MIRHR programme ?

I am an international student and the waiting for the decision is stressful.?

I also applied for the 2-year stream, and they are really taking forever. The problem is that I have received another offer which requires me to accept or decline by April 15. If the result from MIRHR cannot be received by that time, I really don't know what to do. ?

Edited by charterpato

On 3/19/2019 at 2:56 PM, Hopefulgrad20 said:

Hi successful candidates, 

Since so many of you received acceptances - congratulations by the way - I’d love to hear of how your experience is at UofT’s MIRHR program so far! 

I’ve  been accepted to Queens MIR but I have my heart set on UofT, although many people are emphasizing Queen’s to be a great choice. 

What do you love about the program? How is their network? For instance, I know the U ofT masters of public policy program has a great network with the Ontario Public Service and many of the cohort get internships and jobs after with OPS. Any insight into the MIRHR network? 

Thanks so much in advance! Hope it’s going well for everyone. 

I am doing another labour relations course at George Brown, and the teacher, who is a highly respected labour relations professional, said that the Queens program is amazing. Because I live and work in Toronti, my first choice is here, but my prof is adamant that Queens has one of the best programs in Canada.

Both schools are top notch universities, and so I don't think there is a wrong choice. I went to Queens for my undergrad, and it is an amazing school and gorgeous campus.

Good luck everyone!

17 hours ago, charterpato said:

I also applied for the 2-year stream, and they are really taking forever. The problem is that I have received another offer which requires me to accept or decline by April 15. If the result from MIRHR cannot be received by that time, I really don't know what to do. ?

Same ??

11 minutes ago, Gleek said:

I just received my offer of admission for U of T today! So excited! 

Hopefully those of you who need to make decisions before April 15th will hear this week. 

Congratulations ? I too received a mail today but that of rejection.

Hi guys, I just received the congratulation letter from Carol yesterday. She said the official letter will be sent by next week. I applied for the 2-year FT MIRHR as an international student.

Hope the best for you all!!

On 4/3/2019 at 8:41 PM, ebms12 said:

Hey 76th, how have you found the workload of the one year program? I've been admitted to that one but 5 courses in the first semester seems tough.

Hey so what this program kind of reinforced in me is that human are extremely adaptable lol. What I mean by that is, 5 courses in a masters program seems crazy BUT you will adapt really fast to the workload and develop habits strategy that make you handle it. I TA'd in both semesters and did not find it difficult at all. There were a few times where i felt pressured with deliverable, but overall not too bad. I know several students that did 6 courses in 1 semester so they could finish sooner, so it's definitely doable. 

On 3/20/2019 at 1:41 AM, Tinawanwan said:

Hi everyone! I got the offer from the mir of queensu as an international student. However, I am still expecting the result from u of t to make the final decision... I do have to admit that the process of waiting is really tough...

I agree its tough to wait.Good Luck!

• 1 month later...
On 4/6/2019 at 6:30 AM, Gleek said:

I am doing another labour relations course at George Brown, and the teacher, who is a highly respected labour relations professional, said that the Queens program is amazing. Because I live and work in Toronti, my first choice is here, but my prof is adamant that Queens has one of the best programs in Canada.

Both schools are top notch universities, and so I don't think there is a wrong choice. I went to Queens for my undergrad, and it is an amazing school and gorgeous campus.

Good luck 

Congratulations!

Could you please share your professor's reasons for preferring Queens?

Edited by pnwest

On 6/7/2019 at 3:12 AM, pnwest said:

Congratulations!

Could you please share your professor's reasons for preferring Queens?

Hi There! 

He always spoke highly of Queens, however his main reason was that they built a part-time program that would suit distance education well, if you were still working full time. He spoke very highly of both the Queens' and U of T program. Given so many people are working full time in Toronto, he felt that the way Queen's designed the part-time program, would suit people who were working full time, so they could afford to do their masters and continue working. 

On 6/8/2019 at 8:50 AM, Gleek said:

Hi There! 

He always spoke highly of Queens, however his main reason was that they built a part-time program that would suit distance education well, if you were still working full time. He spoke very highly of both the Queens' and U of T program. Given so many people are working full time in Toronto, he felt that the way Queen's designed the part-time program, would suit people who were working full time, so they could afford to do their masters and continue working. 

Cool, thank you for sharing that!

• 5 months later...

Hi everyone,

I’m a 4th year undergrad and I intend to apply for MIRHR 1 year program this year.

I’m wondering what is the average GPA requirement for entering this program? I have heard that they will focus on the last 2 years’ gpa. So does it focus on the average GPA of the last 2 years or they assess 3rd year and 4th year separately?

Thanks a lot!

• 1 year later...
On 3/12/2019 at 9:01 PM, 76th said:

Goodluck all.

I'm currently a student in the MIRHR, 1 year stream.

I know the stress because last year id browse these forumns a lot haha.

Feel free to ask any questions about the program :)

Please does the school offer enough funding to cover the tuition fees..?