CMU MSPPM-DA (Video Interview)

ShirVer

Hi guys!

Last week I received the link for a video interview with regard to the application for CMU's MSPPM-DA track. Although, it's optional, it's highly recommended for international students. I am an international student and do not even have a good Speaking score in TOEFL (24). I am really worried and nervous as well thinking about whether appearing for this will increase my chances or worsen it. Those who've already given this interview, could you please help me understand how was your experience and whether I should take this (in your opinion)? 

The format looks like this: a short video to ask the question, 20 seconds to prepare your response, and then one minute to actually give it.

They were pretty typical behavioral interview questions. Think things like "Tell me about a time you worked on a team." (this wasn't an actual question I had, but should give you a good idea).

I understand your concern, but I would recommend doing the video interview. I think they really stress it as their own way of validating people's communication skills if they haven't met them. For example, I know someone that was able to visit campus in the fall and they told them that since they had met in person, there was no need to do the video interview. Since neither of us was able to make it on campus, I think they would strongly prefer if we did it. There's a reason they highly recommend it for international students.

Good luck!

• 11 months later...

I submitted my application (DA track) on January 10 too, a little before midnight.  I received an email the next morning with a link to respond to the interview prompt.  I'm not sure why processing times are different, but as woolscarves said, it sounds unlikely that it has any effect on your chances of admission.

I suspect that my application was processed relatively quickly because most of my materials (GRE scores, transcripts, letters of recommendation) were uploaded or submitted a long time ago.

On 2/4/2020 at 10:12 PM, lime_in_the_coconut said:

I submitted my application (DA track) on January 10 too, a little before midnight.  I received an email the next morning with a link to respond to the interview prompt.  I'm not sure why processing times are different, but as woolscarves said, it sounds unlikely that it has any effect on your chances of admission.

I suspect that my application was processed relatively quickly because most of my materials (GRE scores, transcripts, letters of recommendation) were uploaded or submitted a long time ago.

Thanks for the reply, Lime! Yes, that should be the reason for me. I am still waiting for my application to be matched with the WES transcript report..(applying from Canada). Have you heard back from them just curious?

Edited by ax062320

On 2/19/2019 at 9:21 AM, ShirVer said:

Hi guys!

Last week I received the link for a video interview with regard to the application for CMU's MSPPM-DA track. Although, it's optional, it's highly recommended for international students. I am an international student and do not even have a good Speaking score in TOEFL (24). I am really worried and nervous as well thinking about whether appearing for this will increase my chances or worsen it. Those who've already given this interview, could you please help me understand how was your experience and whether I should take this (in your opinion)? 

Hi there, would you mind I ask when did you submit your application last year? Based on your description, you received the link around this time last year? Thanks!

The first batch of admissions results went out on Feb 12 last year (when I was admitted). I do not believe that any results have been sent out yet for this year's cycle yet. I would expect some decisions to be released by the end of February. Please keep in mind I'm not an official source on this (just a current Heinz DA student), so it could vary significantly.

Happy to answer any other questions you all have as well.

On 2/18/2020 at 9:52 PM, jengacats said:

Does anyone know when we might expect to hear back? I thought we'd receive a decision last week ?

I'm tempted to contact them and ask, but I doubt that will help the situation.

I thought it would be mid-Mar as it shows on the website if you submitted on Jan 10?

Admissions decisions will start to roll out sometime soon and continue through mid-March (or even later for those that submitted past the deadline). The time you get your decision has no bearing on your chances of getting accepted nor financial aid (eg. just because someone posts that they've received a decision and you should cause you any worry at all).

17 hours ago, woolscarves said:

Admissions decisions will start to roll out sometime soon and continue through mid-March (or even later for those that submitted past the deadline). The time you get your decision has no bearing on your chances of getting accepted nor financial aid (eg. just because someone posts that they've received a decision and you should cause you any worry at all).

Thank you so much for that message! Appreciate it! :) Fingers crossed~