Is it a good sign if an MFA program wants to interview you?

savcal

I honestly am not very confident. I have applied to

- Ohio State

- SVA in New York City

- University of Kentucky

- Louisiana State University

-University of Missouri

- Columbia College Chicago

- University of Southern Florida

- CalArts

and Columbia is interviewing me soon. That is my top pick. I met a faculty member at a conference and she reviewed my portfolio. In the email she said they are "impressed" with my portfolio. Does any of this mean anything at all? I don't want to get my hopes up. I'm so nervous for my interview. Also- I'm in my senior year of BFA. I wanted to go straight in. Do they frown on this?

1 hour ago, savcal said:

I honestly am not very confident. I have applied to

- Ohio State

- SVA in New York City

- University of Kentucky

- Louisiana State University

-University of Missouri

- Columbia College Chicago

- University of Southern Florida

- CalArts

and Columbia is interviewing me soon. That is my top pick. I met a faculty member at a conference and she reviewed my portfolio. In the email she said they are "impressed" with my portfolio. Does any of this mean anything at all? I don't want to get my hopes up. I'm so nervous for my interview. Also- I'm in my senior year of BFA. I wanted to go straight in. Do they frown on this?

An interview means you're a finalist for admission. It's a great sign, most schools interview you when they are considering accepting you. Interviews are never a bad thing. 

And many schools do suggest waiting a year or more between undergrad and grad school, but plenty of students get in to programs straight out of undergrad.