NSF-GRFP

phyanth

So, I realized that I'm eligible to apply for GRFP (Woohoo!). However, I had a few questions, and hopefully someone in here can help!

As far as intellectual merit goes, do they ask for your undergraduate and graduate transcripts? (I completed an MA, but it has been more than 2 years and I just started my PhD program last semester.) Would they weigh graduate GPA more heavily than the undergraduate GPA? My graduate GPA is excellent, but undergraduate... not so much. I just want to make sure they have a holistic review and don't immediately throw it out because of my old undergraduate GPA from literally 7 years ago. 

My academic record has been excellent since graduate school, and I'm tired of my undergraduate performance coming back to bite me. For what it's worth, I did get A's in all my undergrad anthropology classes. Maybe that can save me. 

Edited by phyanth
Had some more thoughts to add!

I don't have insider knowledge, but I did apply for the GRFP my senior year of undergrad. From what I can tell, a less-than-stellar undergrad transcript probably won't factor much because like you said, you've done better in the (much more difficult) graduate coursework. I think they measure where you are now as a student as where you are going. Above all, NAIL broader impacts... Holy hell did that kill my application.

Yes!! Definitely go for it. Never miss a chance for more money! And they do give a little feedback, so you might be able to incorporate that other grant apps down the road even if it doesn't work out.