General interview tips

Hi, friends! 

What are some tips for preparing for an interview? Obviously, graduate school interviews are HUGE and I am starting to get in my head about it.

What do you to do prepare? I have made a list of popular general questions that they might ask, but I don't know what else to do besides read through them and script answers, but I'm trying to not do that TOO much because I don't want to sound completely scripted, you know? The interview is only 15 minutes, so I don't know how many questions could be asked in that time.

Are slacks, a blouse, and heels acceptable? (I know heels are sometimes a problem, not set in stone that I'm wearing them)

Do you have any other tips besides getting there early?

Also, I know that immediately after the interview I am going to over think every possible thing that happened and think that it went terribly. Is that just me???  How do I not do this?!

Here are some thoughts!

• Prepare: questions specific to the school, ask about housing, teaching opportunities, internships/externships, where recent alum are employed
  • Outfit: slacks, blouse, and heels are acceptable. If the school offers a tour of buildings, etc. just make sure you'll be comfy!
  • Other tips: get there at least 15 minutes early, bring snacks/water, don't bring a massive purse or bag, be friendly :)

Ahh the interview process will feel awkward and tough, but just know that you did your best so long as you prepare! Also, the schools invited you because they liked your application, so you're already on a good side. ;) Try to distract yourself with other activities/hobbies so you don't dwell on interview stuff - it's definitely not just you. I had to do all of this to keep me sane haha

9 hours ago, BioCook said:

Here are some thoughts!

• Prepare: questions specific to the school, ask about housing, teaching opportunities, internships/externships, where recent alum are employed
  • Outfit: slacks, blouse, and heels are acceptable. If the school offers a tour of buildings, etc. just make sure you'll be comfy!
  • Other tips: get there at least 15 minutes early, bring snacks/water, don't bring a massive purse or bag, be friendly :)

Ahh the interview process will feel awkward and tough, but just know that you did your best so long as you prepare! Also, the schools invited you because they liked your application, so you're already on a good side. ;) Try to distract yourself with other activities/hobbies so you don't dwell on interview stuff - it's definitely not just you. I had to do all of this to keep me sane haha

Thanks! The interview is actually at my undergrad university, and I have clinical experience and know quite a few of the current first year grad students. It does make me feel better that I am comfortable with most of the faculty who will potentially interview me, but it has made it hard to think of questions to ask about the program. Obviously I don't want to seem like a know-it-all because I'm not, but I am pretty familiar with the clinic and program itself ?

16 hours ago, hopefulSLPtobe said:

Thanks! The interview is actually at my undergrad university, and I have clinical experience and know quite a few of the current first year grad students. It does make me feel better that I am comfortable with most of the faculty who will potentially interview me, but it has made it hard to think of questions to ask about the program. Obviously I don't want to seem like a know-it-all because I'm not, but I am pretty familiar with the clinic and program itself ?

I actually have that same situation coming up this weekend... I know the professors and programs too, so I don't know what to ask haha!

On 2/21/2019 at 11:47 AM, BioCook said:

I actually have that same situation coming up this weekend... I know the professors and programs too, so I don't know what to ask haha!

Good luck with yours! How are you feeling right now? Part of me feels like I've got this, but then another part of me just keeps thinking about what happens if I get rejected. It's my top choice, so I have a lot riding on this 15 minute interview!?

2 hours ago, hopefulSLPtobe said:

Good luck with yours! How are you feeling right now? Part of me feels like I've got this, but then another part of me just keeps thinking about what happens if I get rejected. It's my top choice, so I have a lot riding on this 15 minute interview!?

Thank you! I think I feel okay... I saw on some forums here that the interviews are relaxed, so I’m just going to go in with confidence and rock it!! I might do like prep tonight and tomorrow, but nothing too intense. I think you will be in a great position! Just show them how great of a candidate that you are that they should have you back at the school again. :) Don’t psych yourself out before anything happens!

When is your interview??