Negotiating Scholarships

tjs12220

Hello to all! 

As we all get ready to make our school choices, I was wondering if anyone has talked to schools negotiating their scholarship offer? I will be moving with my wife and daughter, so making sure I maximize the amount of non-loan funding is key. Thanks to any advice or comments! 

On 3/1/2019 at 2:18 PM, tjs12220 said:

Hello to all! 

As we all get ready to make our school choices, I was wondering if anyone has talked to schools negotiating their scholarship offer? I will be moving with my wife and daughter, so making sure I maximize the amount of non-loan funding is key. Thanks to any advice or comments! 

Hey! I'm am currently in negotiations with PhD programs for funding and here's what I've learned so far (hopefully to hear more following calls I have scheduled next week):

1) As long as you ask kindly, and truthfully, it cant hurt to try. The worst they can say is no.

2) That being said, it is MOST helpful and in your best interest for success, to already have multiple offers. This way you can let them know that you've received better offers and if they have opportunities for additional funding (such as fellowships they can off on top of GRA or TA stipends) it would help you in your decision-making. I like to also let them know that I am grateful for the offer either way. Self-advocacy with kindness and gratitude can go a long way!

3) The more details you can give them the more helpful. For example if they offered you 15,000 and another school offered you 20,000, let them know. Most programs want to be competitive and if they hear--especially from several of their candidates--that people want to attend their school but their funding isn't on par with others then they will relay this information to Dean's and departmental funding to advocate for more funding for students.

3) Make sure you're reaching out to the right people, if you're not sure contact financial aid, departmental funding, or program coordinators so that you don't send emails about funding to people, especially faculty, who may have no say in the matter. 

4) Some schools just can not offer additional funds, especially those that may provide all students with similar packages. It doesn't hurt to ask if they can provide additional guidance about where else, or who else, you may be able to contact about other opportunities. 

Hope that helps some and good luck!