Emory vs Minnesota MS

Hello all!

I was admitted to both Emory and Minnesota's MS Biostatistics programs. Minnesota would be significantly cheaper, Emory would be roughly 2x as expensive. I would love to go to Emory, received a decently large scholarship (even that brought the cost down to only 2x Minnesota) but am having difficulty justifying the price. I know they're both ranked roughly the same, and I wouldn't be lacking for job opportunities from either school, would I? I want to go into industry but potentially pursue my PhD later down the road. If anyone has advice, insights or comments they would like to share I would greatly appreciate them!

My understanding is that overall Minnesota's biostatistics department is meaningfully better than Emory's. However, you shouldn't pick a program based only on rankings. Where do you want to work after graduation? It seems like most of Emory's MSPH grads stay in Atlanta or in the Southeastern US in general, while Minnesota grads seem to end up a bit more all over the US and are definitely over represented in Minneapolis based companies. 

Also, if you want to get a PhD eventually, you should focus on taking stat theory classes in your MS. PhD admission committees care far more about your ability to master math statistics than getting A's in very applied public health classes.

Another thing worth noting is that if you go to Minnesota you have the potential of getting an RA position that would pay your tuition. A 50% appointment pays your entire tuition and a 33% appointment pays half your tuition. I would reach out to the graduate program coordinator to ask about it.

I don't think private schools like Emory are be able to do that (I could be wrong).

• 3 months later...

Hi all,

I am an international student trying to decide between UMN(MS) and Emory(MPH) biostatistics program. I also want to go work in industry but potentially pursue higher degrees(haven't made up my mind yet). In this case wouldn't a MS degree is more helpful? However, I've heard it is more difficult to find jobs at Minnesota comparing to Atlanta. I also looked into the course schedule of both programs. It seems that UMN require less credits to graduate. Can someone help me. Any advices would be appreciated!