Waitlist etiquette

sgaw10

So, like many people, I am waitlisted at a school I would be thrilled to attend. The department is small, and I was waitlisted in early January for an interview, so I remain a teensy bit optimistic. But I don't want to get my hopes up too high, of course. I have already emailed the head of the department (but not of admissions), asking how the waitlist works. It is subdivided by AOI.

In ~2 weeks I plan to provide the admissions chair with an updated transcript (my GPA is my weak point but has been steadily increasing) and reaffirm my interest in attending, but I don't want to seem desperate since I already sent an email back in January. Is it too aggressive if I state that this school is my top choice and/or email a POI? 

I feel like there is a very fine line between helping and hurting myself in this situation. Any tips?

On 3/5/2019 at 12:51 PM, sgaw10 said:

Is it too aggressive if I state that this school is my top choice and/or email a POI? 

No.  January was almost 2 months ago.  You are welcome to email the POI and check on the status, though there is not much they can do to tip the balance at this point.

1 hour ago, Ternwild said:

No.  January was almost 2 months ago.  You are welcome to email the POI and check on the status, though there is not much they can do to tip the balance at this point.

Yeah, I figured that. I was only in touch with the director of the program, not a specific POI, before submitting my application, so I'm not sure if this is viewed as "sucking up" :P 

Just now, sgaw10 said:

Yeah, I figured that. I was only in touch with the director of the program, not a specific POI, before submitting my application, so I'm not sure if this is viewed as "sucking up" :P 

Nope, it isn't.  Many people have different points of contact.  I wouldn't think too much into it. ?  Just contact them and get yourself more information.  You are entitled to know, afterall.

17 minutes ago, Ternwild said:

Nope, it isn't.  Many people have different points of contact.  I wouldn't think too much into it. ?  Just contact them and get yourself more information.  You are entitled to know, afterall.

Thanks for the encouragement :)

On 3/6/2019 at 2:51 AM, sgaw10 said:

So, like many people, I am waitlisted at a school I would be thrilled to attend. The department is small, and I was waitlisted in early January for an interview, so I remain a teensy bit optimistic. But I don't want to get my hopes up too high, of course. I have already emailed the head of the department (but not of admissions), asking how the waitlist works. It is subdivided by AOI.

In ~2 weeks I plan to provide the admissions chair with an updated transcript (my GPA is my weak point but has been steadily increasing) and reaffirm my interest in attending, but I don't want to seem desperate since I already sent an email back in January. Is it too aggressive if I state that this school is my top choice and/or email a POI? 

I feel like there is a very fine line between helping and hurting myself in this situation. Any tips?

If there is a very fine line, I guess I have already crossed it  with my continuous requests about updates in my application :)

Can it really hurt my waitlisted status if I am in a frequent contact with the program director?

1 hour ago, Izakawa said:

Can it really hurt my waitlisted status if I am in a frequent contact with the program director?

I mean, if they are very annoyed by you and bothered by your insistence, I feel it would certainly reflect on your waitlist standing.  It certainly would if I was the admissions chair.

6 hours ago, Ternwild said:

I mean, if they are very annoyed by you and bothered by your insistence, I feel it would certainly reflect on your waitlist standing.  It certainly would if I was the admissions chair.

That's why I'm afraid of being too aggressive! I might send some emails today though.

3 hours ago, sgaw10 said:

That's why I'm afraid of being too aggressive! I might send some emails today though.

Once every month and a half isn't aggressive.  I mean, unless you're aggressive in the things you say.